blackback butterfly not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertx859

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a problem. I got a blackback butterfly a bout 10 days ago. It's not eating real well. It only eats a few tiny peices of food and then stops eating. The fish looks healthy, good water quality and no disease. What type of food should I be trying? I'm feeding mysid shrimp, brine shrimp, tiny peices of table white shrimp and formula 1. Would it eventually acclimate? Anyone else had butterfly difficulties? If so, what is the secret to getting them to eat? Thanks a million and I'd appreciate any help I can get!

You might want to try soaking the food in garlic and selcon. Garlic has been known to cause fish to feed better. Just for future references make sure you see the fish eat before you bring him home. Many a fish has been brought home that died from not eating. Ask the LFS to feed him in front of you so you can verify him eating and find out what it is.

Chaetodon melannotus, or black back butterfly is one of those fish that is best left in the ocean. Reasons are its specific dietary needs and the fact it is so hard to get it to eat in the home aquarium.

http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/badfishlist.shtml

From MarineCenter:

Diet and Feeding: In nature it feeds mainly on soft corals, but it may nip at other sessile invertebrates in the reef tank.

Reef Aquarium Compatibility: Not recommended. In nature it feeds mainly on soft corals, but it may nip at other sessile invertebrates in the reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom