Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

I pretty much agree with Kurt, though I only lit my QT tank for a few hours each day (dusk/dawn with '03 and 10k) when I was home. The tank got ambient room light the rest of the day.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Thanks for the help Ill try and do a pretty normal light cycle.

And then again I always seem to think up more questions LOL.

Should I add any 'tastier' foods to his diet while in QT? right now Ive been feeding 'new life spectrum' marine formula thats pretty well balanced ( read the ingredients, contains fish, vegies, kelp etc) in tiny pellets. I know its best to vary the diet, but im worried about frozen foods etc causing pollution in the QT. He seems to eat it, spit it back out, and eat it again when it hits the tank floor, odd fish. At least hes interested in eating.. been producing feces too, so I know hes eating something..

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I think frozen(ie. mysis) is ok as long as you defrost it in tank water or RO/DI water first and then pour that water out. Then put the thawed food in the tank. Just slowly put enough that he can eat in a few mintues and thats it. Keep an eye out on you water parameters with lots of tests, PH, ammonia & nitrite. In my opinion you will be doing so many water changes to get the water down to 1.009 and then to keep the ammonia and nitrite down... that you don't even need to test for nitrate.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Nitrate is not a really a problem in QT. Fish don't stress with higher nitrate levels till it get really high (80 or so). As ryshark said, PWC's should keep them way down along with your ammonia and nitrite.

Do keep an eye on the pH and ammonia though.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks so far so good. He's doing well.

I just got my protein skimmer two days ago and set it up today on the main tank. Amazing how much gunk its getting when I only had two fish in there for two days! Im still playing with it to get the water level just right, but its getting there..

I also got two peppermint shrimp and 3 narssius (probably spelled that wrong lol) snails.. they love the live rock!

after a bit of a bump so far so good. thanks for everyones help!

- Melinda
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

help tiger goby gone

hello all, as i said in a early thread, i put a tiger watchman goby in my tank on wednesday. it swam to the bottom and hid in the LR. the thing is i have not see it since,i am abit worried. i have checked for ammonia its 0ppm. have not got a nitrite kit, but ammonia would show up first wouldnt it. so i dont think its died. i just dont know, iam thinking about taking all the LR out to look for it. or should i wait a few more days. thanks for any advice.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but gobys generally like to hide don't they? I would say keep a good eye out for it and test every day for ammonia just in case. If after a few days you dont see it, I would move some rocks and look. My little clown that died went under a rock and did so when he did.. never hurts to be cautious

- Melinda
Old 06-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I don't know your tanks specs ex: size, amount of LR etc. But you won't always see a spike in ammonia or nitrite if a small fish dies in a decent sized tank with LR LS and a good cleanup crew. In my experience.
It also could be in your sandbed. Personally, I wouldnt tear my tank apart looking for it if my water parameters were all good.
If you don't have a nitrite kit how do you know your tank is fully cycled and there is no Nitrite in the water?? If he is dead that could possibly be why. Are you able to test for PH, salinity, nitrate? Did you acclimate the goby to your tank?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com