bleached mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MROLFE82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In my 74 gallon bow front my mushrooms are turning white and my brain coral is failing. my ph is 8.4, nitrite 0, ammonia less than 0.25 but not 0, nitrate was 50 until I added carbon and nitrex to filter bags. temp is 74-78

My lighting is all power compacts half are actinic and half are daylight reef bulbs. The light are on 12 hours per day. I am trying to get rid of Aiptasia (?) not sure on the spelling. :evil:
:?: The watts per gallon is just under 7, and the brain is on the bottom of the tank while the mushrooms are towards the top. Shoud I switch these around??

I supplement the flake food with coral-vital, phyto-plex, and calcium. Any help would be appreciated :!:

mike

p.s.
I do 25% water changes every two weeks using bottled Culligan water.

I'd move the mushrooms down and see if that helps. The brain should be kept on the sandbed. If you are showing some ammonia, do a few extra water changes to get it down. You said your nitrates were 50 til you added carbon and nitrex, what does it sit at now?

Totally agree that brain needs to be opn the sand. Mushrooms need also to be on bottom. They dont like that bright of light. This gives you an idea where mine are.

img_640541_0_005a4821e9f0ba271329e99409223a92.jpg

Back
Top Bottom