Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
bleached mushrooms

In my 74 gallon bow front my mushrooms are turning white and my brain coral is failing. my ph is 8.4, nitrite 0, ammonia less than 0.25 but not 0, nitrate was 50 until I added carbon and nitrex to filter bags. temp is 74-78

My lighting is all power compacts half are actinic and half are daylight reef bulbs. The light are on 12 hours per day. I am trying to get rid of Aiptasia (?) not sure on the spelling.
The watts per gallon is just under 7, and the brain is on the bottom of the tank while the mushrooms are towards the top. Shoud I switch these around??

I supplement the flake food with coral-vital, phyto-plex, and calcium. Any help would be appreciated

I do 25% water changes every two weeks using bottled Culligan water.

MROLFE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd move the mushrooms down and see if that helps. The brain should be kept on the sandbed. If you are showing some ammonia, do a few extra water changes to get it down. You said your nitrates were 50 til you added carbon and nitrex, what does it sit at now?

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Totally agree that brain needs to be opn the sand. Mushrooms need also to be on bottom. They dont like that bright of light. This gives you an idea where mine are.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

mushrooms, shrooms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com