I everyone. I am starting a thread about bleaching anemones. Common thought is that a bleaching anemone means a dead one. But from what I've experienced, and a little research. This doesn't seem to be true. Obviously a bleaching anemone is due to lack of its zooxanthallae algae. The same goes for corals. But there is a big difference...
When corals bleach it literally is a death sentence. It takes a lot to revive them. But anemones bleach for different reasons. They bleach when they're asexually breeding, when they're stressed, when they're getting used to different lighting, etc. If it is stressed or getting used to new lighting, special care must be taken to keep it alive. Although, anemones can deal with it- if you feed daily. Anemones can be kept in high light/low fed environments, or lower light/highly fed environments. Higher lighting is generally recommended, because lower lighting takes a lot more energy to care for. Also, it's generally not long term. Yet they survive. They don't thrive, but they definitely survive.
So here's my question. If an anemone is bleached, is it really a death sentence? It seems to me that if under proper care, it's easily reversed. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's why I'm posting this thread. Here's my bleached anemone that I got yesterday. My previous anemones have easily overcome bleaching, so I'm hoping this one will also.