Bleaching Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I everyone. I am starting a thread about bleaching anemones. Common thought is that a bleaching anemone means a dead one. But from what I've experienced, and a little research. This doesn't seem to be true. Obviously a bleaching anemone is due to lack of its zooxanthallae algae. The same goes for corals. But there is a big difference...

When corals bleach it literally is a death sentence. It takes a lot to revive them. But anemones bleach for different reasons. They bleach when they're asexually breeding, when they're stressed, when they're getting used to different lighting, etc. If it is stressed or getting used to new lighting, special care must be taken to keep it alive. Although, anemones can deal with it- if you feed daily. Anemones can be kept in high light/low fed environments, or lower light/highly fed environments. Higher lighting is generally recommended, because lower lighting takes a lot more energy to care for. Also, it's generally not long term. Yet they survive. They don't thrive, but they definitely survive.

So here's my question. If an anemone is bleached, is it really a death sentence? It seems to me that if under proper care, it's easily reversed. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's why I'm posting this thread. Here's my bleached anemone that I got yesterday. My previous anemones have easily overcome bleaching, so I'm hoping this one will also.

Attachments

• image-3316817661.jpg
    image-3316817661.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 126
A bleached anemone is not a death sentence and is much easier to care for than a bleached sps coral ime. Great water parameters, and adequate lighting can go a long way for an anemone.

Just out of curiosity why do you keep purchasing bleached anemones? Or are you rescuing them?

A bleached anemone is not a death sentence and is much easier to care for than a bleached sps coral ime. Great water parameters, and adequate lighting can go a long way for an anemone. Just out of curiosity why do you keep purchasing bleached anemones? Or are you rescuing them?
Yes I'm rescuing them. Whenever I see a bleached one at an lfs, I grab it usually for $10 or under, so IMO it's completely worth it. It's especially great when you see how it looks after it's back to full health. I think this is the first one im going to keep instead of bringing it to an lfs for store credit. :)

Yes I'm rescuing them. Whenever I see a bleached one at an lfs, I grab it usually for $10 or under, so IMO it's completely worth it. It's especially great when you see how it looks after it's back to full health. I think this is the first one im going to keep instead of bringing it to an lfs for store credit. :)

Awesome. Good to know you're trying to help out. Hopefully this guy pulls through for you.

I'm sure you know, but be careful with feeding the krill. A little really goes a long way for anemones.

A bleached anemone is not a death sentence and is much easier to care for than a bleached sps coral ime. Great water parameters, and adequate lighting can go a long way for an anemone.

Just out of curiosity why do you keep purchasing bleached anemones? Or are you rescuing them?

Hi my 2 BTAs are bleached. I thought it may have been due to a high nitrate problem I had after going on holidays but I have finally got this down after selling some fish and completing several large water changes.

How much lighting is "adequate" ? My tank is 45gals- 2ft . I bought a new light in the hope of helping out my BTAs and have had this for around a week now:
Sliver 60cm 4 X 24W Aquarium T5 HO Grow Light Marine Reef Fish Tank 10000K LED | eBay

How many hours should I have them on for ? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom