Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
bleaching or burning of corals????

I have 2x96 and 2x65 PC that sits on a 20 high tank. Should I be worried
about bleaching or burning my corals or is that problem only with MH?TIA

90 gal SW tank / cascade 700 canister fliter / Coralife super skimmer / 3x402 PH / 100lbs LS / 80 lbs LR / 30lbs base rock / 2x65w & 2x96w PC / 2 moonlights
PiscesLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
It can be a problem with any type of lighting and can vary from coral to coral. When increasing intensity/adding more light, it's best to acclimate the tank to the new light. HO fluorescents can usually get by with shortening the photoperiod to a few hours a day and then increasing gradually every few days. MH must be shaded from the get go.

Best suggestion when adding new corals is always start them off on the substrate or lowest point possible in the tank unattached. Ever few days move the coral upwards an inch until it's in the desired location and can be properly afixed.

It allows for better acclimation and should not bleach. Just be mindful when choosing it's permanent home in the tank it fits in with the species prefered intensity. That goes for any type of lighting.

bleaching, chi, coral, corals, leaching

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com