Bleaching SPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
Ok, I had lost power for about 16 hours due to a tornado. Since then, I lost 2 acros that totally bleached out in that time. I just noticed that my orange plating monti has bleach spots in the middle of it. It also appears that my pink stylophora is showing signs of stress/issues as well. My green flowerpot is not extending at all.

With that being said, my nems are extended showing no signs of stress. Same with the maxima clam. All corals on the sandbed are fine, including a green domicornis, duncan, acan lords. Birds nest and pink domicornis showing signs of possible bleaching at the tips.

Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0
Salinity - 1.025

Lighting off for 16 hours won't do anything to coral health as far as I know..how long have you had them? Was there a temp swing? Did you keep the water stirred?

I don't know if this could be.... But the lack of water movement through the corals could have done it.... 16 hours with one stir. I'm not sure... But when my power went out for about that long I stirred every hour.

Sniperhank said:
Had them for 2 months. Unknown on the temp swing and the water was stirred once. I added some hydrogen peroxide to get water into the tank.

Water requires stirring every 30-60 mins usually also between that and the temp swing is what likely it causing your problems. Light had/has nothing to do with an only 16 hour power loss so the bleaching is not from that.

Back
Top Bottom