Blenny acting strange/ cloudy eyes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a lawnmower blenny that is acting strange, his eyes are a bit cloudy or almost an pearly light green color. And he use to be a fat boy now he has slimmed up to almost no belly. He doesn't eat as much when I drop food in the tank. I know they are mostly algebra eater but this one would west krill and thats why I think he was fat. I recently re-aquascaped my tank could this be the problem? I also was over feeding so I had almost 0.25ppm of ammonia, I've cut down on the feedings and I'm currently doing two 15% water changes a week to help with the ammonia and slightly high nitrate. Could this be stress for the rearrangement of the rocks? All messages welcome

I currently have the blenny, and two azure damsel's, a cleaner shrimp, a blue tuxedo urchin, chocolate chip starfish, 5 or so Margarita snails, 3 red hermit crabs, 2 what I call blue knuckle hermits, and a torch coral Frag( the inverts don't mess with it at all for all I know. But...also about 3 weeks ago I lost 2 percula clowns due to ICK, but once I noticed they had it the next day they were gone( one died and I decided to take out the other one as a precaution), I didn't have the money to purchase a QT tank ate the moment( I still don't, boy this is a costly hobby, but I love it!) After that they seemed fine.

I would browse garage sales and classifieds and try to find a cheap 10g to use as a quarantine/hospital tank. My starry had the same issue and it turned out to be worms. I could actually see them moving in his stomach. Not sayin this is the issue with yours but it is a possibility. Once I realized what it was I removed him to the hospital tank and he has been getting prazipro treatment and looks to be doing great. A hospital tank can even consist of a 5g bucket so long as you monitor water quality and keep it heated and circulated.

Cloudy eyes is a symptom of bad water quality. This probably came from all of the overfeeding and ammonia spike that you had. Cut down on feeding alot and keep up with the water changes. If the rocks were there for awhile you might have kicked up alot of gunk that is also causing the water issue.

Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna have to do, but currently I'm as broke as a joke, this time next week I will have some cash but guaranteed it won't go to a QT tank, girlfriend would flip her wig! If only life was easy! I know a tank would be the easiest and the cheapest, but, money is an issue

@sniperhank, that's what I thought was the issue, I have an issue with ammonia due to overfeeding. And I recently re-aquascaped my tank and its was cloudy for almost a day, I've been doing water changes as stated above. I'm going to do a water change in a few minutes then test the PPMs. I hope its not a bacteria type problem or a parasite issue. Poor water quality has been an issue for me because until recently I wasn't taking care of my tank, basically at all, but now I trying harder than ever to keep an awesome look/ feeling(for everyone including the fish). Do u have any idea on a time frame that this issue will be resolved? Or is it based on me and my dedication to have an awesome aquarium?

Back
Top Bottom