Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Blenny dead

My striped fang blenny died today. He was captive bred and living happily. My parameters are perfect. Please give me any ideas on why he died. Thank you

Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess no one can really help me with this b/c I have no hints or things to figure it out with....sorry to waste your time.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah i just had the same problem actually...had a powder blue tang in quarantine for about two weeks. He was eating and very social. I check on all the fish every morning, checked the one morning before school and he was fine..got home around 6 and he was dead. All readings of the quarantine were perfect no clue what happened

Sorry for your loss, everything else in the tank still doing well?
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes. I have been having problems like this a lot throughout the setup of my tank and I think I might just give it up altogether.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't give up! It's such a rewarding hobby when things are going good...everybody hits the odd speedbump. Just try some hardier fish to begin with until you've been in the hobby for awhile. The striped fang blenny is not the easiest to care for. Try a midas blenny, they are easier to care for and a beautiful fish.

Maybe its the salt in the tank. What do you test it with? Too much of a change in salinity can shock/kill fish.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you. I had done a big water change two days earlier and perhaps that was the culprit. What do you know About the hardiness of a sixline wrass? Perhaps I'll try one of them....
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You really should go to the User CP and complete a tank profile so we know about your tank.

Your initial post tells us nothing about how big the tank is, or how long the tank has been setup, what other inhabitants are in it and worse of all you stated that your water parameters are perfect! Well, what are they (post real numbers from quality liquid or digital test kits) please.
How long have you had this fish?
Did you QT it, and if so for how long? How long ago?
What do you feed, and how often?
What is the tank filtration and biological filtration?
How big was the water change that you did?
Did you match temp, SG, etc. before changing the water?
How did you do the water change?

The end result may still be MFD (mysterious fish death/disappearance), but at least we may be able to rule out other possibilities.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They were in the tank 50 days. I didn't quarantine b/c they were in the same tank at the lfs (my two sebaes and the blenny). I fed frozen mysis and flakes that my lfs suggested, no ammonia or nitrite to speak of and like 5 for nitrate. I thought I had done all the tank info stuff. I will have to go back and do that tonight.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Temp and sg were close to same. I removed the water with a siphon and then poured the new water in with a bucket
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The sixline wrasse is a pretty hardy fish in my opinion, I did have one die but he jumped (they can be jumpers), I'd say go for it! Here are my two favorite sites to look up fish if you ever want any quick information on them like hardiness, min tank size, reef safe, ect.

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Home Aquariums

Tags
blenny, dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Carpet | Dying Fish »