Blind clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaternewbie12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a black onyx true percula clown who has been in my tank for several weeks. He has been happy and perfectly fine..... Until my water change yesterday. Tank is a 40 breeder with only 3 small fish ,live rock, and some corals. All other fish are doing fine and all coral looks good, except my pulsing zenia which looks like it got burnt.... I think it was too close to my bubble coral.... Anyways, after a 4 gallon water change yesterday, my clown started hanging out in one spot close to the bottom of the rock.... I got up to check on him about 4 am and he is now swimming, but appears to be blind? He is swimming low to the bottom, but is bumping into everything. What would cause this?? He is my favorite fish!! I do not know the water parameters as I don't have a test kit, but will get it checked as soon as the lfs opens today.

So he wasn't swimming like that and bumping into stuff before the water change? Any type of animal/fish could be blind, but he wouldn't suddenly become blind. We used to have a blind guinea pig; imperfections like that happen in nature sometimes. In the wild they would just become prey quickly. But if he's been swimming fine for weeks and not bumping into stuff, then it's something else.

No, he was fine until the water change, after the change all my corals closed up, but they all opened right back up. My pulsing zenia looks really burnt this am, and now has clear bubbles on the stalk....... Fish is doing ok this am, so I'm not sure what is going on.

No, he was fine until the water change, after the change all my corals closed up, but they all opened right back up. My pulsing zenia looks really burnt this am, and now has clear bubbles on the stalk....... Fish is doing ok this am, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Check ammo, Trites, Trates, pH, salinity, temp, calcium, mag, etc.

Did you mix the SW well and leave it mixing for 24 hours? Of not properly mixed it can be caustic to corals and fish.

also clown could have been sleeping at 4 am. They do some pretty strange things when woken up.

Back
Top Bottom