Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Blind Ocellaris clown?

I have had this clownfish for almost 3 years. He was full size when I got him. For the past several weeks he has stayed tail up or head up in the corner. He does not go after flake food at all, but gets active for brine shrimp, although he can't seem to catch it. He swims fast enough, he just can't aim. He swam into a piece of live rock today. He usually keeps his belly on the glass. I put a cube of food into a clip and tried to herd him to it without success. His face is getting very pale. The other 3 baby ocellaris and royal gramma are fine. He has nothing visibly wrong with him other than the paleness that just began today. Could he be blind? How long do clownfish generally live? I treated the tank with melafix last month.
pH 8.2 ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.25 nitrate 5.0 29 gal tank
I would really appreciate any advice.

lorildixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Why did you treat the tank with Melafix?

Although things may seem fine, 4 clowns in a 29 gal tank is not a healthy amount. Not just for the potential fighting issue you do not seem to have encountered as yet but also for water quality. The ammonia and nitrite reading you have should speak for itself, both should be undetectable.

Clowns species will live many many years. In fact I am aware of many approaching 15 years or more.

This may not be an eye issue but may actually be a swim bladder/bacterial issue. Can you please give a detailed description of what the eyes look like and how the fish swims when it does try?

How long have you had all the fish and what/when was the last one added?

blind, clown, ocellaris

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com