Blond Lipstick Naso Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
I got my new Tang on sat he was flawless nothing showing any where ,
here is a pict of him on mon before his eye blew up ,
img_3351312_0_919e9a25ee59f1e2f972a444cc4468ce.jpg

This is a pict of him today after I noticed this big bubble above his right eye,
img_3351312_1_580fa9afa76978cbb4b32392aeb89a4c.jpg

any idea of what it is and how to treat , I still need to catch him and get him into QT , it just came out of no where wasn't there last night at lights out , I didn't notice it this morn I noticed it in the early afternoon , help diagnose him and best way to treat ,

thanks for any help

seaweed

Last edited:
well after lots of researching I discovered what it was and what was the cause ,
it is POPEYE and it is from ammonia burns from being in a shipping bag for a long period of time , they say it can take up to 2 days to show up which was right on the money ,
I got him in QT and need to get out to get the meds I need , it don't help having 2 ft of fresh snow on the ground , hopefully I can get out tomorrow to get the meds ,

ok got the meds tetracycline the pet shop told me add 2 packets per 20g now the container says 1 packet per 15 gal I have a 20 long QT tank , could use some guidance
as I never medicated saltwater fish

Wondering if that is medicated feed for the tetracycline?

Otherwise it won't be as effective in high ph water (link below). I have seen this reported in research articles as well.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html#tetracycline

I've seen that as well that ammonia burns can take 3 to 4 days to show up. That's a nice bit of research.

Tetracycline itself (not the group) is a pretty old med. Its available here in Australia at fish shops and we have very tight regulations on antibiotics sold so says something on usefulness.

Assuming a medicated feed, if the popeye worsens my thought would be to shift to a newer med. In freshwater this would be furan 2 OR triple sulpha plus something else OR another antibiotic of the tetracycline group in a medicated feed. The link I find covers most but I've never looked at it for SW before.

Last edited:
I just looked in on him as I'm getting ready t dose the tank ,
his eye looks almost back to normal but I still intend to treat to be safe,

no it's not a medicated food that would be to easy . its a powder form medication once it hits water it turns orange looks like that drink mix TANG kinda , glad it's in QT as it will most likely stain the tank seals,

our local vet treats large fish he told me the proper dosage than he asked how much I paid for the meds I told him he said I could have saved $20. if I got them through him .
so I bought another bottle through him and I'm bringing the other one back ,

Back
Top Bottom