Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Blonde Naso Eating Problem

I've just got a new blonde naso tang for my tank. He just came out of quarantine and I can't seem to get him to eat anything other than nori and flake food. I know nasos are mainly herbivores, and when he does eat the nori and flake he loves it and eats a fair amount, but it seems like the nori and flake just isn't enough to support him. Even in quarantine that is all he would eat. I make my own frozen food mixture of shrimp, squid, clams, nori, and green spirulina powder. All of my other fish love it and go nuts, but the new naso won't touch it. Any suggestions on what else I could offer? I love this fish and don't want to lose him.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you feeding for flake? You may want to try adding some GarlicGuard or similar product to your mush as an appitite stimulant.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

try formula two

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got Prime Reef flake food. I'll give the garlic thing a try. Is Formula Two made for herbivores? I see you've got a naso "clowninaround". Is that what yours eats?
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 03-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah she loves formula two, so do the other fish. It is for herbvores mostly. She eats pretty much everythng I put in the tank really, but she put on a little weight when I gave her the formula two, so I make sure to rotate that in with the other foods I put in there. I have a sailfin that only eats flake food and nori, but he/she seems to be warming up to the formula two as well.

HTH

Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 03-21-2005, 12:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks "clowninaround"! I'll give it a try, maybe soaking it in garlic too.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The key is variety. You may need to make several trips to the LFS as you try and find something it likes.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem anytime, soaking it in garlic sounds like a good idea too!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My maroon clown took a while to get into the whole feeding frenzy in my tank. She didn't really feed very agressively until a few weeks ago. It may take your naso some time to get into the feeding routine. Hopefully with the garlic and Formula 2 (my YT & PT both love that but neither are particular about what they eat) he'll come around. My PT took a good 2w to decide that he'd eat when I was in eye-shot. I had to leave the room (and peer around the corner) to know if he was eating.

Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have tried EVERYTHING for my naso, she will only eat NORI. Thats IT. She has been fine for 4 months now. Tried it all, garlic, veggies, flakes, you name it. She does eat the hair algae in the tank and other stuff on the LR. Even tried "tang heaven" nothing she'll touch.

I was worried, but she looks great and healthy.

Jim

Tags
eat, eating, naso

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com