Blue Hippo Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TreyC2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Hippo tang was just acclimated to my tank. It ate fine and then in 2 hours it was behind my hob filter overflow sideways. Im not sure why but it stays there. It seems to still be alive.

Current parameters: Salinity 1.024, 80 degrees, nitrates 0.00, nitrites 0.00, ammonia 0.00, ph 8.4. I use salinity and I dosed it with stress guard. The tang was acclimated by drip method.

Well, besides being able to turn the temp down to 78...that is pretty minimal and my reef tank runs at 80 pretty well during the summer...
What size tank are we talking? How about other tank mates...signs of aggression?

I have a 55 gallon with 40 lbs of live rock. No aggression with any of the other fish. Do you think it may have scratched itself on the live rock?

Well, I don't think that is the cause for the fish's issue and what may be eventual death. I am also concerned that these guys are open water swimmers, needing a minimum of a 6ft long tank to have enough room to swim back and forth in...but this is also not the cause of the issue at hand.
Why are you putting stress guard in the tank? If the zero'd parameters were true there wouldn't be a need for it. Generally, when it comes to saltwater, you don't want to add anything outside of water and your salt mix. Things can get out of hand quickly when adding any type of chemical or liquid whatever to achieve a goal that can be ironed out with nothing but patience and time...and a solid mix of ro/di water and feeding minimally.

I only added it when I saw the signs of stress by it floating upside down. I wasn't real sure and figured I'd be safe. It says that you could double the dose and I just did half.

It matched to my hands. not an actual thermometer. It also happened a couple of hours later, even after feeding and swimming. It did swim with its fin up a lot.

Are you measuring salinity with a refractometer? Any idea what salinity he came from?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To be honest, I wouldnt worry just yet. My tang jams himself sideways in the rocks. Scared me to death when he first did it. lol Blue tangs are weird like that so dont worry just yet.

Yes, sometimes those regal tangs are a bit shy. It may not be anything other than it's hiding for a while.

I came in to feed him this morning and he came out and ate and swam around. I'm away from the tank right now but he was, at least, eating and swimming around. Thank you for all of your help and have a Merry Christmas! I'm hoping this little guy makes it. Btw, I am using a refractometer and I have a hydrometer inside of the tank. I don't know what salinity he was in but he's the fourth fish I have gotten from that LFS. Thanks again for all of your help and especially the peace of mind you gave me last night.

It has been my experience that these regal or hippo tangs do this a lot. Lay sideways between the rocks. I think he is OK.

It has been my experience that these regal or hippo tangs do this a lot. Lay sideways between the rocks. I think he is OK.

Agree, mine is still in the QT but doing this all the time.

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

It still goes to the top of the tank every night and sometimes most of the day. I'm going to add live rock and hopefully he'll get more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom