blue linkia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't post picture <my camera broke>. I have blue linkia for over 18 months. She's doing great in my 90 gal.tank. Yesterday i saw that her body is not smooth but her skin have lot of wrinkles ,not smooth like before. Kind of like happens with us when we get older. Can you tell what maybe the problem? Maybe it is just her time. But she still acting fine. I read so many posts from other s that they can't keep her for longer period of time. Thank you!!! I'm lucky to have her for that long.

My blue linknia is over 4 yrs old so they can live longer under the right conditions. A couple questions. What is your nitrate reading? Is your salinity and temps stable and what are they?

Salnity and temp. always stable at 1.024 and between 77-79. My nitrate stays at 5-10. I test today and is little higher between 15-20. You think that is to high for her? Amonia, nitrite at 0, alkalinity 4 mq/l or 11.2 dkh, ph 8.2, calcium 480, magnesium 1240.

They are more suseptable to higher nitrates. Dont know if 15-20 is too high for them but I sure would shoot for 0. BTW here is mine at 4 yrs old.

100_0813.JPG

T
100_0813.JPG
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Mike. I tried so hard and always want nitrate at 0 but i can't do it. I feed frozen mysis and brine shrimps every other day. Once a week phyto -feast <corals food>. I had before cheato but did not help much. What should I do? Sorry for bothering You!!! Got sump with sock and skimmer and Phos Reactor with carbon in it.

If you are being between 5-10 I`m thinking you`ll be OK. I use grape calerpa as my macro aqnd I believe it does better nurtient export. But it does come with a slight more risk. BTW you are not bothering me. I`m here to help.

Hi, I think your Alk is a little high. Don't know if that could be a problem but you might want to do a PWC and bring it don't a bit.

The frozen foods may be a source of some of your nitrate problem. How often do you remove and clean the sock? I don't bother with one as it's another place to catch stuff that catches particles that turn into nitrate.
How often are you doing PWC's? If not weekly you may want to try that for a while. I chased high nitrates for a year till a combination finally got them down. BTW, I use only chaeto in my sump.

I change 20 gal. every 2 weeks in my 90 gal. tank and with that i clean the sock. So what You saying i do not really need that sock?

Your alk is fine, keep it there. I would justify your NO3 readings with the Phyto-feast you are feeding. I'm sure you could cut back without a noticeable effect on your coral stock. If you are changing your filter socks every other day to x3 weekly I'd leave them (pro sock club!). I believe wrinkles are a sign of starvation and there may not be much you can do for it other than try diffierent foods and hope for the best.

I believe wrinkles are a sign of starvation and there may not be much you can do for it other than try diffierent foods and hope for the best.

Sounds very logical to me. Stars feed off of microbes in the tank. What I do to help supplement feeding in the tank is to put half an algea tab under the star. I`m thinking this has helped mine to make it 4 yrs.

innovator, what do you consider as fine for an alk reading?

Agree with Cmor. His numbers hit all the right marks as long as they stay relatively balanced. I normally shoot for 4.5meq/l in order to achieve 4.0meq/l and would rather have a higher Alk even if Ca suffered a bit (his numbers are far from suffering) :)

Here my Linkia Star Cliff Hanging I place a piece of nori sheet under it and he's been fine for about 6 months now....

img_1068784_0_823378d6ec62019da1784f26bbf8d019.jpg

Nice looking star Frankie. I`m glad he`s doing so good. It must be because of the tank master. LOL

Back
Top Bottom