Blue Linkia Starfish Dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Linkia has been laying in the same spot in the tank for hours now without moving. I can see little pods crawling aroung under him, and around his tenticles. I dont want to touch him because if he isnt dead, the touch of my skin may hurt him. I tested my water a littel while ago and my Amonia is at 0. Is he sleeping? In the middle of the day? is he hurt? I dont see any damage on his flesh. He looks thick and solid. What should i do? ACK!!!

hope hes ok, try moving him gentaly with a net or some thing, im not sure what those guys eat but my serpant star fish starts moving as soon as food is in the water try putting some food by him.

I tried to move him with a net. He didnt budge. Like regamortis set in. So i took a Glad Freezer Bag and stuck my hand in it and used it at like a glove and picked him up and put him on a top rock. He grabbed the rock!. He's not dead! But whats wrong with him? He is just sitting on the rock now. :? :( :?

i dont know, atleast hes not dead! i put a algae tablet in my tank for my tang too pick at when i didnt have any sea weed and my serpant star came out and grabbed it and ate the whole thing and he didnt move for 2 days so mabey yours when on a eating binge and is too full now.

stresco said:
He's not dead! But whats wrong with him? He is just sitting on the rock now
Very common for most stars, especially linkia's. Once they find a nice patch of algae slime or other food substance, they can stay put digesting it for days. If they do "knock off", linkia's will normally turn white. Trust me you will have no doubt. Hopefully you will never witness it first hand.. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I tried to move him with a net. He didnt budge. Like regamortis set in.
Linckias are very stiff. They look all soft and cudley, but they are very stiff and course. This is perfectly normal. I will warn that the Blue Linckias are fairly difficult to keep healthy. You should be checking your nitrates often to make sure to keep them down to keep him healthy. They are very intolerant of temperature swings also.

Good luck!! :D We would love to see a pic of the lil fellow. 8)

My linka Shrivled up like a prune and his legs started falling off.. I new that he was a gonner..

James

Ive had this guy for over 4 months now, and i think that he is doing well. Guell i got a little nervouse when he didnt move for so many hours. I think he was digesting some food. Actually i think he ate one of my hermits. I found an empty shell he was stuck to when i moved him :twisted: He is hiding under some rocks somewhere now. So i think he is ok.

stresco,

I really doubt he ate your hermit - the diet's of Linckia's aren't 100% known, but as far as we understand, they consume an algal/bacterial "film" off LR. This is why it is usually recommended that they be kept in a fairly large/mature tank - a lot of LR is very important.

I don't think they are truly hard to keep - as long as you have enough LR that they don't starve, and you keep your water parameters stable. Almost all failures with these animals are due to either (a) starvation, or (b) their insensitivity to changes in pH/salinity/temp fluctuations - most of these stars that do die in the first few weeks are victims of poor acclimation.

We've had our blue Linckia for just over a year. It seems very healthy, and while it usually is pretty active, I've seen it stay in the same spot for 2-3 days at a time.

HTH,

I'm so glad I found this post. I just got a blue linckia and he's very rigid. I thought for sure it was rigor-mortis. He's been acclimating in a drip for an hour now, and I'll keep him acclimating and checking posts. He's still got great color, but he was shaped like an umbrella when I put him in acclimation pail and he's been that way ever since. A couple of arms are curling up in the corner, but I don't know if that just gravity. I'm posting this as a new message, looking for advice.

Unless the star starts to lose color or actual limbs, it should be okay. "Rigid" appearance or unmoving is nothing to be concerned about. They will actually stay put for several days if they find a nice patch of algae or bacterial slime.

Just be sure you drip acclimate slowly over 4-6 hours. Keep tabs on the temp as well. If not floating in the sump, it can cool down easily enough.

Cheers
Steve

I drip acclimated mine for 3.5 hours, and he's doing great. Finding his way over my tallest rock and waving his arms at me. Just beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom