Blue Linkia starfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quixand

Aquarium Advice Activist
So..I get home and my star is chillin on the bubble wall. It kinda worries me, so I grab him and move him to the front of the tank.

And I notice this.

1002620dm0.jpg

Is this normal? It looks to me like his inside guts are falling out, is he dying? Or is this normal behavior?

Thanks a bunch.

The LFS did expose him to air. However, when I got him home, I did a 3 hr slow drip then added him, and he was doing great. moving all around the tank. He moved to the back while I was at work.

He's moving around on the front of the glass now, but that junk is still near his mouth. I've read alot about exposing them to air, but one gentleman who sells and ships them online said he handles them all day and ships so many, all exposed to air, and has no problems with them.

He's about 2-3 days old.

Anyone have a Blue Linkia? This is my first, so I'm not sure what to expect, if it's normal feeding procedure, or what.

From http://www.reef.edu.au/asp_pages/secb.asp?FormNo=43

"How and what do they eat?

Sea stars are either carnivorous predators or scavenging omnivores. Sea stars feed in a very distinctive way which involves digesting food outside their bodies (extra-corporeal digestion). They hunt or scavenge their prey, probably using their sense of smell (chemo-detection). They then position themselves over the prey and literally throw part of their stomachs over it. The stomach secretes digestive enzymes which dissolve the prey and reabsorb the digested products as food - what a way to go! "

So....I'm guessing this is normal then?

I have no idea if this is right or not.

But don't they use the one hole for everything?
Is it poo-ing maybe?

Well, it could be a sign of melting. It could also be his intestines. both of which would not be a good thing. Just because the seller exposes them to air and has no problems with them, doesn't mean the people buying them are receiving a healthy animal that will thrive. I really hope he comes around but I know from experience that once a linkia starts a decline, it seldom if ever makes a recovery. And it can take days before they fully succumb. :(
I'd check your water parameters to make sure they are all in check. I don't know what else to offer. Sorry.

All water parameters are perfect.

That's why I'm stumped.

So pull him out and get a refund then eh?

This morning when I checked on him, whatever that nastiness was on his mouth, was on the sand bed, and he had moved to the back wall, and was firmly attached halfway up the glass.

So I have no idea what's going on. I scooped that junk out of the tank.

I did the same thing. I had read previous to the purchase that they could not be exposed to air & when I saw the LFS remove him from water (though it was just for a second) I thought it would be okay. He survived for about 2-3, and then it was over. Mine didn't expell anything, or decompose, but he stopped moving and had attached himself to the glass with one arm exposed to the air, and I knew it was done.

As far as getting a refund, good luck. I know none of my LFS gives a refund with saltwater fish, and because it was something they did wrong, good luck proving it. I don't mean to sound negative, but it's just one of those live & learn things. Maybe try calling first & see what their reaction is.

My LFS has a 48 hr refund policy on saltwater.

I've already returned one star due to the same issue. This one was actually alive when I got it home. Unlike the other one that died on the way home.

So, I'll bag him when I get home and bring him back.

Good, I'm glad to hear that! I have 4 dealers in my area, and none offer a refund policy of any kind. Anywho, best of luck with the next one!

Yeah I'm done with starfish. LOL
I double checked my NO3 and it was within the 10 ppm suggest for the Linckia species.
SG was 1.025, temp 78.

I explained to the LFS tonight when I brought him back, that handling them in the air spells death for these guys, and they were like... "Really?" This was the first shipment we've ever gotten.

Went to look at the other two the manager had handled above the air that night, they too had spilled their pyloric stomach, and looked quite dead. Unfortunately for them, they had beautiful frags in the tank also. I got my star out before he liquified. Thank god.

Thanks for the fast responses guys, you saved the rest of my inhabitants.

It's unfortunate that the LFS was so uninformed but I'd hate to see you totally give up on starfish. Not all stars are created equal and some are very hardy. Serpent stars are very cool and make great janitors. They are not as visible as the linkias but are helpful addition to a reef system. Sorry you had such a bad experience but don't be to quick to give up on starfish in general.

Yeah, I think I may have been a tad hasty.

Trouble is, I don't like killing animals LOL So, for now, until I can find a cause for the deaths, I will stay away from them. I will check out the serpent star.

Thanks!

I would not give up on the licknia star. Just go somewhere else or order online and make sure he is not exposed to air. I had the same thing happen to me and I know how you feel but your an experience wiser now so dont give up. Here is mine and he`s in the AA calendar this year.

img_733391_0_cf20341d8247f24f16c2280d9b5ec597.jpg

Good luck

Just wanted to add that if you go looking for a serpent star, do NOT buy a green serpent. They are usually cheap at LFS's and that's because..nobody wants them! They are fish eaters, not good news. The rest are good though, and I agree with Fluff, serpents are really cool and generally quite hardy if acclimated and handled properly. Good luck!

ok...after reading this, how in the world do you get the star into your tank, without exposing it to air???????????????

You have to quickly drop the bag under the water and quickly grab him under the surface and hurry up and get the bag out.. Try to limit as much of the LFS water as possible. But all this is done after you acclimate him in the bag.

Back
Top Bottom