Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
is back to save the day!

A long time? Hopefully forever.. The ich parasite once exterminated, should not return, unless the same, or another problem arises that will give the parasite a chance to thrive. Your fish shouldn't be stressed and you should keep on top of water changes, and make sure every one of them is healthy.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes, Forever is what I am hopeing for.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
is back to save the day!

That's what we all hope for lol. But you are doing things right, so expect results!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

one more thing to the orginal poster with ich, I am new to SW have had cichlids many many years, big difference in the FW versus SW and Tangs first mistake when buying a SW fish I made was not doing a FW dip and QT for 3 wks I learned that in here, this a probably the most important thing you can do when you bring that fish home or is shipped to you specially a Tang, had I researched further and found this forum sooner I would probably not be going through all of this to cure my fish.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
is back to save the day!

Ah.. great advise fjm.. i seemed to have forgotten about that one. It is always wise to QT the fish before putting them in the main tank. This way you can observe them for any problems they may have, that my not show up within the first week.. but will start to show signs later on. This way you can catch it ahead of time, and treat it accordingly. Instead of just throwing it in the main tank and getting every other fish infected. Tangs are also notorious ich magnets, ESPECIALLY the Hippo. So it's not a suprise he's got ich. Seriously though, we all have said it.. get a QT if you want that fish to live.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I know earlier we mention garlic. Just wanted to post this link on it.

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I tried that, took some flakes and other foods and soaked just a bit of it in garlic juice from a bottle of minced garlic, fish did not eat it at all.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Try soaking nori in .5ml of garlic. Also wouldn't hurt to add .5ml of Vit. C and B.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not a big fan of the Fresh water dip. yes it gets rid of the parasites that are currently on the fish but it REALLY stresses them out. why spend all the time aclimateing the fish to the salinity of your tank just to throw him in fresh water. big fan of a QT and a hospital tank but fresh water to cure saltwater fish......i don't think so.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Well, if you are a big fan of qt tanks then you are a fan of using medications because that is the whole point of qt. If that is the case, then you deem a fw dip as more stressful than medications such as formalin, copper, malachite green, etc. which are widely used? I do not see the logic, especially when hyposalinity is near fw conditions anyways and requires 4wks of it compared to a 5-15min. fw dip. Perform a fw dip correctly and there is limited stress in the grand scheme of things. Use a qt and begin treatments asap, before parasites and other disease set in further

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, ick, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com