Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Exclamation Blue Tang Acting funny

Hey Guys,
I got a hippo tang the other day (about 2" long). He is doing well (i think and hope). A damsel was picking on hime earlier today so I had to take everything out of the tank of catch the bastard (damsel). The damsel left a mark on the tang, it does not seem bad or deep, just noticible. Later on at night I noticed hippo rubbing against a rocks and walls of the aquarium more than a few times (either side of him). I though that its ick or something but I dont think so, I checked his eyes and fins and they are clear. He swims fine, looks healthy, just rubbing here and there. I'm not sure whats up... I fed all the guys in the tank and they all ate including the blue tang. Any ideas what it can be?
Please help me out here,
Alex

Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It could be ick but every time a tang scratches him self is not always ick. I`m concerned because Blue tangs (Hippo tangs) are IMO ick magnets and very suseptable to ick.Hopefully it`s not.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

should I get a cleaner shrimp? any ideas on how to treat it?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just got a hippo as well (3weeks ago). I got a cleaner shrimp and all seams to be better now. There are still white spots on the tang but is as healthy and active as can be. I was afraid to take it out and quarantine it due to the fact that tangs stress out to easy. I also have been feeding it green algae with garlic. I hope this helps some?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Get rid of the damsel(s)! Any new fish will likely get the same stress. Stress equals sickness.

Garlic only boosts the immune system Don't count on it to heal ick - or the cleaner shrimp.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for all the replies, I its really helping me to deal with the issue! I was thinking of getting cleaner shrimp to help. I dont have a qt tank, so any ideas on how to treat him in the community tank?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The cleaner shrimp will not solve the issue. They reproduce many more times than the cleaner can take them. As mentioned above garlic will not kill the ick also. Read those articles I posted above if you want to get rid of the ick.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

No one asked this question... How big is your tank titoav15.

Also, if you don't have a QT tank, and you want to treat him.. you have no other alternative to GETTING a QT tank. Doing Hypo in the main tank, could kill other things in the tank as well. And dosing things like copper that would kill the ich parasite, would kill off your live rock, and any inverts you have in the tank. It really is not worth the hassle. Unless the rest of your tank, compared to your tang, is completely expendable, i would not even think about treating the ich ridden fish in your main tank.

And again i reiterate, how big is your tank.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

if you will read the first link that melosu58 put up for you, hyposalinity is the way to go my blue hippo and the rest of my fish have ich bad within 4 days in hypo and 4 days useing metronidazole and a 2 minute fresh water dip prior ich was cleared up totally but under the guidence of another man (Captain) in here we are keeping them in hypo and main tank fishless for 28 days to be rid of ich hopefully along time.

Tags
blue tang, ick, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com