Blue tang and maroon clown help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone. I've been noticing that my blue tang has been looking a little beat up, and today I found out why. Every night he sleeps right against a 1300gph powerhead, bumping and scratching his side.

My maroon clown was floating near the top and not eating very much. It's tail is missing a chunk of it too. It might be the female clown which is about 2.5x bigger than it.

My plan was to quarantine them both in a 10g tank and use medication on them until they both get better. Is this good? What medication should I get?

Well, unfortunately the maroon clown past away. I don't think I will buy another male for my female. This is her 3rd victim.

I purchased a 10g tank, and quICK cure. The blue tang looks A LOT better now. His scrapes are almost unnoticeable. Tomorrow will be the 3rd, and final day of his treatment, so I'll see what happens with him then. I might put him in my 40g for a week or 2, until he can completely recover.

I;m sorry about your fish... what a bummer. But on the bright side the tang is looking better right? So that's a good thing at least.

Out of all clowns iv seen, maroon clowns and tomato clowns seem to be the most susceptible to things like this sickness wise. Sometimes what happens is they'll be sick and do what the tang was doing and tear their fins making it look like they were attacked. Even today at my LFT I saw two clowns, one maroon fitting this description. As for the tang, blue tangs aren't very hardy and are extremely susceptible to ich. But if you didn't see any spots, maybe it was something else. Sometimes fungal infections can cause problems like that. I've seen it happen to a yellow tang.

Illusion4 said:
Out of all clowns iv seen, maroon clowns and tomato clowns seem to be the most susceptible to things like this sickness wise. Sometimes what happens is they'll be sick and do what the tang was doing and tear their fins making it look like they were attacked. Even today at my LFT I saw two clowns, one maroon fitting this description. As for the tang, blue tangs aren't very hardy and are extremely susceptible to ich. But if you didn't see any spots, maybe it was something else. Sometimes fungal infections can cause problems like that. I've seen it happen to a yellow tang.

Idk, my maroon clown had a large chunk out of it's tail. It usually slept in the anemone so I don't think it was the powerhead. And so far the tang has shown no white spots, but maybe it was a fungal infection. It acted completely normal though, and was a voracious eater so not sure.

carey said:
I;m sorry about your fish... what a bummer. But on the bright side the tang is looking better right? So that's a good thing at least.

Yeah, the tang is looking really nice. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to put it back in a tank instead of keeping it by itself in a small 10g.

Well last night I released the tang into the 40g, to see how he does, and he seems a lot better. He is actually staying right in the branches of a gorgonian. It looks cool. My clowns like him too

Back
Top Bottom