Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Andari
Blue Tang Ich Move

I understand all of the treatment to do for my blue hippo tang. He's only been in the tank about 3 weeks and has come down with a case of ich. I also know that I need to move all of the fish to QT. My question is what size QT tank is best for 2clowns and 1 Tang. I've seen that a lot of people use 10gal tanks but it seems like that may be to small for these three. I'm am still new to the hobby and regretablly didn't get around to setting up my QT tank ahead of time like I should have. His ich seemed to come out of nowhere but it's all over him and I want to get them moved and start hypo tomorrow. The clowns don't show any sign of it thankfully.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tang currently? How big are the clowns? If all 3 are an inch or so, you could get away with 10 gallons, but they're all going to grow, so you might as well get the largest QT you have budget/space for. The equiptment doesn't have to be fancy, just a heater, any old filter, and an air stone if that filter is internal. You don't even need a really good hood/light, just set a desk lamp nearby so you can inspect the fish, and some sort of cover to keep jumpers in.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also use a piece of filter media from your main to help seed to QT and help keep your water quality up.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Andari
I ended up going ahead and getting a 20gal. The tang is about 2inches and the clowns are only an inch but they are use to having space to swim and I hate to keep them in a 10gal for 2months. Only problem I had was I couldn't afford the stand to go with the tank so I now have a 20gal tank on my kitchen counter. and cords everywhere. Getting this thing set up was a HUGE hassel, but after aclimating them they all seem to be doing fine. I only worry that I have a snail MIA that I'm afraid something might have happened to when I had to pull out the live rock to catch the little buggers. Good times.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snail will probably show up later. Be sure you keep a close eye on your Water quality. Also as you lower the salinity be prepared to buffer the PH. If you do not it will lead to other health problems.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I was a kid, we put the QT in the basement, as there was no better place to put it. My current stand has a second shelf built in that my QT rests on.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, ich, move, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com