Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
FW dips are not a treatment. At the most they will help alleviate a heavy infestation and give the fish some relief if the trophont dislodges. The down side being it can severly stress the fish and cause it's death outright. It may "appear" to work viusally but the dip does not affect the trophonts buried in the epithellium. The parasite will just wait it out. FWIW, the trophont can survive upto 18 hours in full FW.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

You QT new arrivals looking for signs of disease. No need to treat a new fish unless it shows signs of disease during the QT period.
The life cycle of c. irritans is about 30 days. It is visible on the fish for only a short period. It then falls off dan drops to the bottom where it it forms a cyst (the tomont stage). This stage can last a week or more and then the cyst breaks and at this time infect the fish (again).
Keeping a new arrival inQT fro 30 days should give you enough time to know whether the fish is infected or not.

This article has a rather good explanation of the life cycle and hypo treatment.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Freshwater dip in my opinion is definitely a No-no. As a matter of fact, even my "do the hypo in the display" advise is a No-no, especially if you have lr and ls. I was just desperate.

However, a freshwater dip is a sudden change in EVERYTHING water-wise and may stress the specimen to death. You're really risking the specimen itself.

With that said, I've read of people doing dips and pulled through. Maybe they're just lucky, who knows.

Try to erradicate c. irritans from your display. QT-ing everything out of the display will starve the c. irritans of host and will eventually cause the erradication. Or, if desperate, gut it out and do the hypo in the main tank. That should be the last resort. Hopefully you'd even consider it as the last of the last resort. :|
We live and we learn
AMANIQU77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
I give all my new fish f/w dips with methylene blue with great success. IMO freshwater dips will do no harm at all.
90 gal sw
Wet/Dry w/ LR ruble
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think that freshwater dips are a really bad way of fixing the problem. I think it's cruel and the fish certainly do not like it.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
I just don't see it as effective as hyposalinity. Besides the fact that you're shocking the fish, you're only going to get a fraction of the parasites in the process. Most of them are so encysted in the fish that they are safe from external medicines, have to wait for them to fall off to kill them.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote

blue tang, ick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com