Blue tang not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the most tasty/tempting food you can throw at a picky skinny blue hippo tang to get him eating better?

So at this point my tang doesn't hardly have the strength to stay off his side I'm assuming there's nothing to be done at this point?

No I have him isolated in a breeder net and have dropped flake food, blood worms, krill, nori, even some strands of chaeto doesn't seem to be interested if I nudge him he will swim barely enough to get away from me but then fall to his side again. I'm so depressed about this.

No fish eats chaeto. I'm sorry, but this is bound to happen. It may not be the last time, but it can be.

ive gone through the same situation. Some just dont take well to captivity. Best bet is to get one hat youve seen in the store for a couple weeks so you know wether its healthy or not. I have a guy that will let me pay half the fish cost for him to hold it for 14 days in his tank and since he offers a 14 day guarantee with a before and after water sample. I just let the 14 days be my warranty and so far i have had a 100% survival rate when i get them home, BUT there have been several that have died even in his constant care. It's just one of those things that happen when fish are plucked out of the ocean.

Thanks for the advice guys but I lost him yesterday but it was a big learning experience although a costly one. I will try to pick better next time.

the best thing you can do paz is research th fish and do your best to equip yourself with everything possible to properly care for that specific fish. it seems to be a common problem that tangs that aren't fed properly quickly go downhill. sorry for your loss:( I know the feeling all too well and it sucks. don't let this discourage you from trying another blue tang. just have to learn from our mistakes.

just remember that blue regals get very large and are very active fish. they need a 6 foot tank at least when they start getting big. If your tank is small then feeding battles will seem easy compared to the havoc a stressed tang can cause on a tank.

Back
Top Bottom