Blue tang rear fin deteriating PIC INCLUDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratstang66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My blue tang which has been in my tank for about 4 months has a rear fin that looks like it is deteriating. I started noticing this a couple days ago and it seems as it is getting worse. At first it looked as if something was stuck to it like little hairs. I just did a water change and a couple of days after the water change (catalina water) my koran angel fish died. His color had been fading and finally it happened. Now I see this on my tang. His color is also fading a little. I just fed my fish frozen Spirulina brine shrimp/mysis mix and my tang ate like normal.
My parameters are all 0 except trates are around 30 (high I know but always have been)
My tank is about 7 months old. I have added nothing to the tank within the past 2 months except some snails.
Also in the water change I added amquel, novaqua and kent aquarium essentials. I have always added these at the same time as water changes.

img_777371_0_5e74bcfe1e617265d2a32e059df8e1d6.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic all i got is a camera phone.

Sorry to hear about your angel but a 60 gal tank is too small for either fish.

You don't list any fish in "myinfo" that could be harassing the BT so more then likely it's a bacterial or parasite infection.

Do you have a cycled QT tank? How large is the BT?

I'd highly recommend a QT tank so your treatment options won't be limited or more costly.

Maracyn Two is one of the better bacterial treatment options that is non-toxic to inverts if you have to use in the main.

It's usually sold at Pet-Smart & Petco also.

I went to go buy the Maracyn two and when I got home the tang was no where to be found. I moved a rock and there he was. He didnt make it. I should still use the medicine though right?

Sorry to hear that, BHT are known to be more prone to disease then other fish :(

I wouldn't use any medicine unless you see signs of sickness on your other fish. Using an antibiotic when it's not needed could cause resistant strains of bacteria to form and be less effective when you really need it.

I would not use it either if your other fish are not sick. Sorry about your loss

Back
Top Bottom