Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Blue Tang sick

Help I purchased my first blue tang and when it got to my house it was belly up in the bag. Still slightly moving I floated the bag added water ect..... finally released it. It floated up, then down then back up and stuck to the skimmer gate. I was so upset!!!!! I left it , went to bed and when I came down the next morning the light was on and there it was swimming around. Its made friends with my Yellow Tang and they eat and swim around together. Although now the blue tang has white spots and a slight cloudy film on it. The fish store recommended MELAFIX all natural fish remedy. It says to remove carbon filter and turn off protein skimmer, carbon was gone in the beginning and I have urned off skimmer. It says that it is safe for reef aquariums containing invertebrates, corals , anemones ect... which I have. Although my LT Anemone is not looking to happy and my blue tang still has white spots and film. Do I continue? Oh I should mention I have a 34 gallon plug and play Red Sea Max.
Any advice would be of great help! I am so new to alll this.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Do not use melafix for ick. It will not work. Read these links. You`ll need to QT and treat.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

CRYPTOCARYON IRRITANS

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
With a 34G tank, neither tang will be happy....Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
With a 34G tank, neither tang will be happy....Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....
I totally understand where you are coming from although I am hoping to upgrade tank size in a year and a bit. Both Tang are extremely small. I am just worried about the blue one that has spots. He/She is looking better. I was told to try a fresh water dip and I tried it. Fingers crossed its looking better eating and racing around the tank
Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have two surefire options for treating ich, and both require that you don't treat in the main tank if you have inverts. Copper based medications or hyposalinity treatment are the only two things that will really get rid of ich. Melafix/Pimafix *may* have some antibacterial/antifungal properties, but you're dealing with a parasite, and any of the herbal remedies will do nothing but drag things out longer and waste you money. Fresh water dips will only stress out your fish, and do nothing to the parasite.

Read up on ich - it's a nasty little bugger. It will come in waves and will seem like it disappears for a while. That's the normal life cycle of the thing. When it disappears, it's just going through a reproduction cycle after which it will come back even stronger and with more parasites.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I posted in your other thread about the parasite. IMO FW dips do no good at all plus they stress an already stressed out fish even more. I`ve never seen it do anything but kill the fish. Maybe other have had good luck with it but not me. If it was me I would just go ahead and treat your fish for ick and avoid all the quick fixes. JMO

I see where I already posted them at the beginning of this thread. Did you read them? BTW I`m moving this thread to the sick fish forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #7

Sorry i have not read it yet. I am still learning my way around this site.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #8

Just an update. Blue Tang looks like it pulled through whatever it had!!! Spots are gone as well as the white film. He/She looks great!!!! If it was the one dose of Melafix, PWC or the FW Dip???? Thanks for all you help :>
Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I hope it wasn't ich, and truly IS gone, but...

Quote:
...Read up on ich - it's a nasty little bugger. It will come in waves and will seem like it disappears for a while. That's the normal life cycle of the thing.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #10

I will defiantly read up on it thanks so much

Tags
blue tang, ick, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com