Blue Tang Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriskrip

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My blue tang seems to be sick as you can see from the picture. He has been getting white for quite a while but recently he seems to be getting worse. He is still eating brine shrimp and I am feeding him spirulina 20 flakes to try to get his color back and make him better but the color does not seem to be coming back. I have had him for about 5 or 6 months and he is living with a raccoon butterfly, flame angel, coral beauty, two clownfish, and a few damsels. He doesnt seem to be bullied by any other fish so I dont think it is stress. Parameters were normal so I dont think that is the issue either. I have a circulation pump and he seems to be swimming in it and kind of just letting it push him around and doesnt seem as lively as before. Still swimming ok other than that but something is still weird. I need to get my poor tangs color back and hopefully back to normal all help is appreciated!

Here is the picture

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1361826031832.jpg
    ResizedImage_1361826031832.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 125
Are you feeding him any algae? Nori sheets? They are omnivores and a varied diet is best.

I have the nori sheets and I put them onto a clip and he never eats them so I stopped putting them in there

may I ask what size tank he is? Could be stress from to small a tank. Have you checked you PH, Nitrates, Phosphates, salinity etc...?

[IsOTE=bavass;2357974]may I ask what size tank he is? Could be stress from to small a tank. Have you checked you PH, Nitrates, Phosphates, salinity etc...?[/QUOTE]

It is a 75 gallon tank and yes i have there are no issues with any of the levels

That may be the issue. Tangs can become very stressed which can lead to disease when they are put in tanks that are less than 6 feet long. In fact lots of tang need large tanks.

That may be the issue. Tangs can become very stressed which can lead to disease when they are put in tanks that are less than 6 feet long. In fact lots of tang need large tanks.

Yea you might be right. That's weird they told me at the store that my tank would be sufficient but they must have been wrong because that is the only thing that I can think of that would be causing this

Your best bet is to look at places like liveaquaria.com They give minimum tank sizes, compatibility, etc. Your fish store is going to try and make a buck off of you. I've heard mine say things like "that could work" to people where I know that "yes, it could", but the odds are against it.

I say it daily...multiple times daily sometimes, but putting fish in smaller than suggested tanks leads to problems. Stress Messes with immunity. that opens them to all sorts of problems. It's rare that we see posts with fish in proper sized tanks with issues. That can't be coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom