Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

blue tang sores?

i have a tank at work, and ive recently added a blue tang to the tank. it was probably 2 weeks ago. Everything went smooth with the transition. He eats his fair share. But every morning i come in hes got himself stuck in a crevice in the live rock. i mean every morning hes lodged in a small place he cant get himself out. one time i had to break off a chunk in front of him to allow him to swim out. He eventually gets out but ive been concerned about his sides getting scratched up. Well today i come in and hes got a couple nasty looking sores on his sides. Im not sure if its something else, it doesnt look like a parasite issue. Could it be from another fish picking at him?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3162.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	98984

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	98985

Name:	IMG_3165.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	98986

Name:	IMG_3167.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	98987

if anyone has seen this before let me know. and treatment wise as well. id hate to lose this guy.thanks in advance

Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Palette tangs are definitely one of the stupidest tangs out there. Dory, in the Nemo movie was a Palette tang for a reason!
I had a much smaller one that lodged itself in a rock and died, so this behavior is pretty common.
As far as the scratches on its side, as long as it is otherwise healthy, it should recover. Just keep an eye on it for infection. And maybe feed it some garlic fortified food, to boost its immune system.
Although they do this somewhat regularly, it is possible that it's trying to get away from other fish. What other fish are in the tank? If the Palette was the last introduced, it could be being bullied by others, like that Blue Damsel perhaps.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's normal behavior for the blue tangs to wedge themselves in the rocks. Mine goes into spaces so tiny at night I'm amazed he can get himself out. lol I have seen scratches here and there from this and they usually heal up in a few days, but mine hasnt hurt himself too badly before.

When I first got mine he hid under rocks and wedged himself in crevices as well, it took about 2 weeks for him to come out and be a regular fish. othe fish in the tank could be harassing him as well like mentioned above so keep an eye out to see whats up.

Good luck with him!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #4

i have a neon damsel, a bicolor blenny, and a citron goby. he seems to have some sort of beef with the damsel. they challenge each other frequently but it doesnt seem to be a problem. right now i just looked over and hes wedged in a crevice again. will that stress them out being stuck for awhile or is that common?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think that's it's pretty stressful.
What size tank are they in? That might be part of the problem too...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #6

hes in a 10 gallon at the moment. i know they need to be in way larger tanks, but at the moment hes really tiny(about an inch long)w, the plan is to add him to my 25 gallon at home for a few months until i get 100+ gallon tank next year. the guy at my LFS insists that he will be fine in my 10 gallon for awhile. he says he puts them in smaller tanks than that. So i know if im gonna have any success, hes gonna have to get in a bigger tank. Has anyone had success with a small tang in a small tank for a short while?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Um no.. A blue tang in a 10 gallon is pretty much asking for desiese and ich. It makes no sence to me why people dont buy fish when they know they will have a bigger tank. You say you will have a 100+ gallon tank in a year, so what made you think "awesome, ill get a tang for my 10 gallon now" ???

Im sorry if that comes off as harsh, but i get tired of people doing stuff like this. Get a fish that is suitable for your tank, if not, then there will be consequences. You have only seen the begining of the consequences with these sores, ich is far worse.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #8

through discussion with the guy at my LFS, he said all would be good. Sounds like ill advice, you need to funnel your anger at the "experts", im just someone thats trying to enjoy the hobby.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha we can all agree that the guy at the lfs was definitly wrong. If you want to enjoy the hobby i think you should get rid of the tang before it gets ich and that spreads to all of your other fish, causing the tank to crash without proper treatment. That is what i would do if i were you.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That was not ill advice at all. What the guy at the lfs gave you was ill advice. Nunu is COMPLETELY right. Usually, a fish at any size should be kept in an aquarium that will suite its needs as an adult, and you are FAR from that. If you had an extra 100 gallons that still wouldn't be enough (assuming a 110 is 4 feet long). All tangs except tomini and kole tangs really do need 6 foot tanks. It's not like you have it in a 4 foot tank..... You have it in a tank that's not even big enough for clownfish.

Tags
blue, blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com