Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

blue tang turning white

hi ive had this powdered tang just put into my tank. hes hiding.not eating. and his colour is not as bright as he was. wont swim at all. goes about on bottom of tank. been like this for 3 days. any ideas guys? all readings in tank are perfect. have other fish and corals in tank. all are fine. tanks been up and running a year now. he was fine in pet shop.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How big is the tank? Mine lost a bit of color when I put him into the qt tank but it came right back. They stress very very easily.... and are very shy

Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

100 gallons. he was in a smaller tank in pet shop. he hasnt ate anything since put him in. tried seaweed and all. i noticed when he did swim.he was hitting rocks like he was bind. hes not looking good. breathing hard a bit too.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's stressed badly...Only reason he looked good at the LFS was because he was probably there for a week or 2 if not longer..So he became somewhat comfortable ...
100 gallons will not be nearly big enough for him
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would cut the lights if you can and try to make him more comfortable. How big is the fish? And yeah, he will need a MUCH larger tank in the near future. tank size can play a major role in stressing fish out, especially with a Blue tang.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

He might have brooklynella. Have you tried to do a larger water change - maybe 30%? Even if your parameters are good; it can't hurt. Either way he is probably just stressed with the new environment as tangs seem to stress WAY more than other fish. I'm dealing with a stressed tang myself right now

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe he has a powdered blue tang which grows to a max of 9" in about 2-3 years time and on LA recommended size is a 125. So he should be fine in a 100g till it gets about 6-7" if it's a 5 foot and 5-6" if it's a 4 footer.

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com