blue tang turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big monty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi ive had this powdered tang just put into my tank. hes hiding.not eating. and his colour is not as bright as he was. wont swim at all. goes about on bottom of tank. been like this for 3 days. any ideas guys? all readings in tank are perfect. have other fish and corals in tank. all are fine. tanks been up and running a year now. he was fine in pet shop.

How big is the tank? Mine lost a bit of color when I put him into the qt tank but it came right back. They stress very very easily.... and are very shy

100 gallons. he was in a smaller tank in pet shop. he hasnt ate anything since put him in. tried seaweed and all. i noticed when he did swim.he was hitting rocks like he was bind. hes not looking good. breathing hard a bit too.

He's stressed badly...Only reason he looked good at the LFS was because he was probably there for a week or 2 if not longer..So he became somewhat comfortable ...
100 gallons will not be nearly big enough for him

I would cut the lights if you can and try to make him more comfortable. How big is the fish? And yeah, he will need a MUCH larger tank in the near future. tank size can play a major role in stressing fish out, especially with a Blue tang.

He might have brooklynella. Have you tried to do a larger water change - maybe 30%? Even if your parameters are good; it can't hurt. Either way he is probably just stressed with the new environment as tangs seem to stress WAY more than other fish. I'm dealing with a stressed tang myself right now :(

I believe he has a powdered blue tang which grows to a max of 9" in about 2-3 years time and on LA recommended size is a 125. So he should be fine in a 100g till it gets about 6-7" if it's a 5 foot and 5-6" if it's a 4 footer.

Back
Top Bottom