Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

blue tang with ich

Hi everyone just a question about marine ich I just got a blue hippo tang yesterday and he was way to big for the qt tank I only have a 10 gallon QT. I decided to put him in the main tank. Due to the stress of acclimination he now has ich. My cleaner shrimp is working on him. Should I just let it take its course and keep an eye on him or should I move him to the Qt and medicate him or Dip bath him? I do have a uv steriziller but not sure if I should use it I heard quite abit of mixed feelings about the uv steriziller.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How large is this tang? Can you purchase a larger tank or even a rubbermaid tub (acts as a qt)? You can either remove the tang and treat with hypo or medications (I prefer hypo) or leave it be and feed regular garlic additions in hopes that its immune system can gain strength in fighting it off to lesser numbers while the cleaner shrimp works its magic. Personally, I think you're better off in qt and leaving the main display fallow for at least 30days. The UV will do next to nil in removing the parasite.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moving this to the sick fish forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks guys I will put him in te tank I got and in the mean time I will get a 45 gallon tank that I was going to use as a sump ready. He is about 7 inchs. These fish are ich prone is there anyway to prevent him from getting ich in the future and I have that quick cure stuff is t any good
Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The uv steriziler is not to remove parisite from the water? I know it wont help the fish itself but at least clean the water.Do you guys use a uv. I do believe in QT and if he did not come in at 7 inchs he would be in there right now but I will set up a bigger QT for sure
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Hyposalinity will eventually kill the parasite and procedures should be stipulated in one of Melosu's links above. The main display will have to remain fallow for at least 30 days so the parasite cannot feed and burns itself out. UV sterilizers kill anything that passes through the unit, but unfortunately most parasites do not reside in the water column nor can it differentiate between what one deems as good or bad, bacteria-wise or not. You can use it, but I personally do not see the need with diligent care
Old 09-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

The articles that melosu58 linked. The ICH parasite is now in your tank. You must remove ALL fish from the main tank for at least 30 days (6-8 weeks is better), and treat ALL the fish with a hyposalinity regimen if you want to be free of Ich. Pretty much anything less than that and you stand a good chance of a reoccurrence.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, ich, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com