blue tang with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steveman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone just a question about marine ich I just got a blue hippo tang yesterday and he was way to big for the qt tank I only have a 10 gallon QT. I decided to put him in the main tank. Due to the stress of acclimination he now has ich. My cleaner shrimp is working on him. Should I just let it take its course and keep an eye on him or should I move him to the Qt and medicate him or Dip bath him? I do have a uv steriziller but not sure if I should use it I heard quite abit of mixed feelings about the uv steriziller.

How large is this tang? Can you purchase a larger tank or even a rubbermaid tub (acts as a qt)? You can either remove the tang and treat with hypo or medications (I prefer hypo) or leave it be and feed regular garlic additions in hopes that its immune system can gain strength in fighting it off to lesser numbers while the cleaner shrimp works its magic. Personally, I think you're better off in qt and leaving the main display fallow for at least 30days. The UV will do next to nil in removing the parasite.

Thanks guys I will put him in te tank I got and in the mean time I will get a 45 gallon tank that I was going to use as a sump ready. He is about 7 inchs. These fish are ich prone is there anyway to prevent him from getting ich in the future and I have that quick cure stuff is t any good

The uv steriziler is not to remove parisite from the water? I know it wont help the fish itself but at least clean the water.Do you guys use a uv. I do believe in QT and if he did not come in at 7 inchs he would be in there right now but I will set up a bigger QT for sure

Hyposalinity will eventually kill the parasite and procedures should be stipulated in one of Melosu's links above. The main display will have to remain fallow for at least 30 days so the parasite cannot feed and burns itself out. UV sterilizers kill anything that passes through the unit, but unfortunately most parasites do not reside in the water column nor can it differentiate between what one deems as good or bad, bacteria-wise or not. You can use it, but I personally do not see the need with diligent care :)

The articles that melosu58 linked. The ICH parasite is now in your tank. You must remove ALL fish from the main tank for at least 30 days (6-8 weeks is better), and treat ALL the fish with a hyposalinity regimen if you want to be free of Ich. Pretty much anything less than that and you stand a good chance of a reoccurrence.

Back
Top Bottom