Blue tang with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to the facts listed in the link, if you have other fish they have been exposed. The only way I've ever heard of curing a tank from ich for good is to remove all you fish at once. You can leave inverts and corals in the tank but all fish have to come out until the life cycle runs its course.

As far as the above cure for ich, I do hope it worked for you!!! Ive heard of building up the immune system but other than the mentioned standard ich cures in the article, and once read about the use of Levamisole (this is a de-wormer for cattle but the corals didn't like it) that worked, I've not seen anything else.

How many fish do you currently have in the tank?

Shism is right, don't take a victory lap yet. If you haven't seen signs pop up in 4-6 weeks, only then can you be fairly sure you've beaten it. Be prepared for another wave - hope for the best but plan for the worst. Also, as the ich cysts may have just dropped off the tang & hatched, keep an eye on all your fish over the next month or so.

Patience, monitoring and understanding is the only reason I am confident that my Proto Marin treatment worked in my tank. Keeping in mind that a fish can't just beat ich, they only tolerate the wave, I'm going on what would be my third cycle without any sign. If it was still there, or treatment only partially effective, I would expect to see some by now.

Also, the ONLY reason I didn't quarantine this fish at purchase was that I had just completed a tank move and accidentally cracked the drilled overflow on my QT. Had I quarantined, I could have safely treated this fish on its own without risk to the rest of the tank.

Well my blue tang is STILL ICH FREE! So ill wait your 28 incubation period.. Heck. Ill wait longer. And wait. And wait.. For years and years. Until 1 day he gets ich again.. Then guess what im doing?? Im using focus, metronidazole, and fress whole clove blended garlic with misis(mad in a Vitamix). And it will do the same that it did a few weeks ago.. Help the blue tang fight the ich off.. Thnx everyone for all the suggestions. But im with the health group.. Garlic is good for humans just as it is for fish... If u eat a whole clove of garlic. B4 u go to bed.. Studies have shown u sleep better.. Cud be becuz ur sleaping alone though.. ;)

Maybe it did get rid of the ich however, if the ich were truly "cured" as in gone, he wouldnt get it again nor will any of your other fish. :)

Studies show that fish who have had Ich and are cured build up a tolerance for it however it only lasts a few months. I do think it's good that you are trying to build up his immune system though. It will help later if he ever has any other issues I'm sure.

11 months with no new additions and no flare ups & you should be home free.

Yeah man this is going really smoothly. :D gtting my samsung s3 next moday so i will post some videos then. :D

Back
Top Bottom