Body rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My yellow tang have been in QT for over a 5 weeks now and ready to go back into the main tank this week. But a few days ago I notice he has a ulcer and what looks like hemorrhage around the affected area. Since then I have applied Waterlife's Myxazin for treating bacterial infection. I have used this before with success, but this time it is taking a lot longer to heal up. I have been doing 25% daily water changes and reduced feeding.

Do you think I should move him back into the main tank where the water quality is much better than QT so he might have a better chance of healing? Or should I continue to used medication in the QT?

His body appears to be reddish, more like a rash. and especially red behind his eyes. I did a 50% water change with higher salinity and this morning he appears better. The rash has disappeared and the ulcer seems to have closed up. I think I'll continue to bring the salinity back to normal.

BTW, what does HLLE looks like? I notice the lines between his eyes and mouth is quite red. But that has more or less disappeared today.

What was the salinity at? Could have been a bacterial infection or possibley a sudden shift in pH. The change in salinity would not really be what's making it better but rather the water change itself.

Cheers
Steve

It is probably bacterial infection. I was just raising the salinity gradually from 1.009 after 6 weeks in hyposalinity. The tang is looking better probably because of the 50% water change I made.

One of the key factors in using hyposalinity is to carefully monitor the alk/pH as well. Chances are this is not bacterial but a reaction to the drop in pH. The red slotch's are the same for both. Either way, keep up with the water changes and test the alk/pH to be sure things stay in line.

Cheers
Steve

I have actually been paying close attention to ph and alk. They have been at 8.1 and 12KH respectively. It would be a shame to loose one after six weeks in hypo. Many thanks Steve.

As Steve said, definitely watch your ph level. If you have a glass top, remove it, or open it up and leave it opened. I saw major improvements just within a few days. I had the same problem with my Yellow Tang as you are. He was eating fine, but had awful red blotches on him. He looked pretty scarry. I did a few water changes as well. Also, get some Selcon and soak it in his food. This is an awesome product that seems to be working really well with my Tang. liveaquaria.com sells it for $9.99. Good luck!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom