Boiling Coraline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess I should be happy that my coraline growth has skyrocketed within the last few months but there are some things I would like to stay the original color like the extra hermit shells... Can I boil these to turn them back to the original color? Or does that only work with green/brown algae?

coralline algae can be scraped/chipped off if you want to do the work. Its a hard algae, boiling may work try it. When it builds up on my returns I just scrap it off with a knife, it flakes off.

Boiling may only bleach it. making whatever it was before white. Just a warning.

Vinegar works wonders to remove coraline algae from items that can be removed from the tank.... :wink:

Matt

A couple years agoe I boiled some coral skeletons that were covered in brown algae, turned the flourescent green, very cool for a while. :)

Lol you can have mine!... Everything I have is covered. I was planning on getting rid of my seaclone which is honestly about a month or two old but no one will believe it because of the layer of purple crap on it... lol.

Back
Top Bottom