Brain Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

munitions

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a new favite brain coral, and I'm not sure how its doing. I ordered it from liveaquaria.com, and it came with the bag popped. By the time I got home and opened it the coral was sitting out of the water for at least a half hour. I attached a picture of the coral can anyone give me their opinion on it? Should I just send it back for a replacement?

Attachments

• 2009-06-23 21.02.46.jpg
    2009-06-23 21.02.46.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 85
Looks recessed, which is normal, but fine altogether. Give it time. There are those who do ship coral, mainly sps, via dry-method and do just fine.

Make sure you call LiveAquaria and let them know of the condition - if it happened during shipment. With how many bags they ship coral in, you must've had a brute of a FedEx person to pop all 67 layers of plastic. (OK... it's not 67 layers, but seems like they used at least 3 double bags.) I had an issue with their shipment one time when they didn't ship with a heat pack and the water was pretty cold. They ended up extending my "arrive alive" guarantee out longer than normal. (Happy ending... the coral survived and is thriving.)

Good point Kurt. A phone call will protect you in case the coral does not make it.

I called them and they took note of the arrival condition. They said if I had any problems to just give them a call.

The coral has lost most of its color now and is turning white is this supposed to happen?

No... that shouldn't happen. But trying to pin it on the shipping issue is a tough call. What type of lighting do you have? What are your water parameters? (pH, salinity, temp, nitrates)

I have a T-5 fixture with 2 10000K bulbs and 2 actinic 420nm bulbs.
pH-8.3
salinity-1.023
temp-76
nitrates- about 10 ppm

Looks Okay... SG is a little low and Temp. is also low.

Back
Top Bottom