Brain coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I was looking at my tank tonight and seen some red stringy substance coming shooting out of something.It appeared to come out of my brain coral. I did some searching on the net but didn't see anything about red fluid. This happened twice about 10 minutes apart. Never seen exactly what it came out of but I think it was the brain. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Jeff

Have you changed your lighting at all-new lamps, etc. or moved the coral recently? If not, it was more than likely just expelling waste.

No, I haven't changed anything. We have had it for about 2 weeks and he is where I originally placed him as he seems happy there. I didn't think even think of that! LOL I guess what goes in has to come out :eek:)

thanks!

Jeff

I haven't seen him do it today. I think it may have been waste. I will just keep an eye on it.

thanks
Jeff

I'm not sure about brains, but some corals expel a portion of their zooxanthellae periodically, as well. It often appears as a brown, stingy snot-like substance.

Yum.

corals expel a portion of their zooxanthellae periodically
That is why I asked about any lighting or coral placement changes. Having only had the coral for 2 weeks it may be doing this in order to adapt to your lighting/tank conditions. I would keep an eye on it like you said tooldini. It should be fine.

Thanks for all the help it still looks really nice. I guess if it starts to shrivel then it is not a good thing LOL

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom