BRAIN CORAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAWNMAN06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IVE HAD MY TANK UP FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW AND I HAVE JUST RECENTLY PUT A SMALL BRAIN CORAL IN IT.IT HAS BEEN A WEEK AND IT STILL HAS NOT OPENED UP.IS THIS NORMAL?IT ALSO HAS SLIMEY WHITE STRINGY STUFF THAT KEEPS GETTIN ALL OVER IT.IS THAT GOOD OR BAD?

HERE IS A PIC.THIS IS THE BEST I GOOD GET.MY CAMERA ISNT ALL THAT GREAT.THE CORAL TO THE LEFT BEHIND THE BRAIN CORAL ISNT REAL.

Attachments

• hpim0351_121.jpg
    hpim0351_121.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 49
Is it near another coral? Are the strings coming from that coral or another one? Corals can attack each other with such stringy strands. It could also be trying to cover itself with mucus because it's stressed, or it could be a bacterial colony settling in on a dead coral. Hard to say without a picture or more detail.

It is normal for it to take a coral several days to open. At a week I would expect it to be opening some. Some corals are noctournal, have you observed it at night?

What are your water parameters?
What size tank do you have?
How much light do you have? What kind?
Can you post a picture of the coral?

Here is a pic of mine. you can see it in pic of tank also. I think that a PWC would help. It might be sloughing.

Attachments

• fish_010_206.jpg
    fish_010_206.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 432
  • 000_0016_187.jpg
    000_0016_187.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 44
DO YOU HAVE TO FEED THE BRAIN CORAL ANYTHING?AND I DONT KNOW WHAT WATER PARAMETERS ARE. AND LIGHTING DURING THE DAY IS REGULAR FLOURESENT TUBES AND DURING THE NIGHT IT IS THE BLUE ACTINIC LIGHTS.AND ITS A 55 GALLON.

Well your lighting could certainly be a problem. I don't have a brain myself but if I remember correctly from what I've read they require at least moderate lighting. I'd do a little more research if I were you on lighting.

CMD26 said:
Well your lighting could certainly be a problem. I don't have a brain myself but if I remember correctly from what I've read they require at least moderate lighting. I'd do a little more research if I were you on lighting.

Brain coral...I meant brain coral...

Water Parameters = results of test kits and or meeters
Helpful parameters to know:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Salinity
Temperature
pH
(Additional tests would be great, but those above are usually the best for a beginner to start with.)
Your Local Fish Store will have a large variety of test kits you can use. Testing your water can help you find sources of stress to your fish and corals.

I have not ever fed mine and it has doubled in size. I do believe your lighting is the problem if you only have flourecent lights. Live aquria says you need moderate to strong lighting. You`ll need much stronger lights

You can feed a brain coral. Typically you should feed it zooplankton, but can also try feeding it a peice of krill in it's mouth. It's tenticles will usually come out once you spot feed it with zooplex or cyclopeeze. Pretty cool ;P

WHAT TYPE OF LIGHTS SHOULD I GET? I ONLY HAVE 15 WATT TUBES RIGHT NOW.HOW MANY WATTS WOULD BE GOOD FOR A 55 GALLON?

You will need to get VHO lights or metal halides or other types similar. You need 3 - 4 watts per gallon. I have the VHO lighting.

Back
Top Bottom