Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

brain coral in trouble....help!

I just got a brain coral on Sunday, I think it is a Platygyra or something similar. Drip acclimated for 1.5 hours, it is under very similar lighting (T5) as at the LFS. When I put it in the tank I noticed one edge had no tissue, but I thought it might have been where it was touching another piece of rock in the LFS tank. Now, 4 days later, the dead area is spreading up the coral, a few mm each day, and another area on the other side looks like it is either bleaching or starting to die as well. The coral has had its polyps extended regularly. The tank it was in at the LFS had some soft corals, and my tank does too, I know soft corals can produce toxins that bother stony corals but I thought it was more towards SPS corals. Any ideas? What should I do? The LFS that I got it from isn't so "L", it's in NH, so bringing it back is probably not an option.

Pic isn't great but the area affected is the far edge on the left side. The highest point on the close side is now starting to fade.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
The loss of color (the orangish part) doesn't concern me as much as the bleaching. My guess is that the coral is adapating to your lighting changes and that is why it went a little orange on you. It should color back up. Hopefully!

The bleached part on the left, I would get a dremel and a diamond cut wheel and frag off the infected area. Otherwise it may or may not just continue to keep spreading.

Beautiful coral, btw.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How about some water test results. That will help. Make sure it is on the sand. If the brain is touching the rock then you`ll see some tissue recession. As I said earlier post your water parameters.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will post tomorrow. It is on the sand completely but was not at the LFS, maybe that was part of the problem?

It is beautiful, I really don't want to lose it!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfound77951
but was not at the LFS, maybe that was part of the problem?

It is beautiful, I really don't want to lose it!
It is beautiful. I believe your LFS was part of the problem on his placement. But yes post tomorrow and lets make sure there is no stress factors in there.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 05-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
If the brain is touching the rock then you`ll see some tissue recession.
I've got a flat Platygrya similar to this, and I placed the flat rock it was encrusted on, onto a flat shelf of my rock work. It's been 3 months or so (at least) and it's overgrown off it's original rock and is now encrusting my rock nicely. Why would touching rock be bad? It doesn't expand that much.

(Here's the location I'm talking about - in the front, it's now bridged that gap and is growing nicely onto my rock work)

Old 05-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSh...rain_coral.htm

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/f...s/swi1689.html

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/trachyphlliidae.htm

These are just some sites that have brain corals even though they are not the same type but all of them say being on the substrate except one said a flat rock piece also is OK. I`ll have to look where I saw that article that said they cannot touch Rock and the recession issues. We have had others if you want to do a search that had brain coral issues and when they put it on the substrate it was OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 05-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Not to sound nitpicky, but I think the substrate rule only applies to the fleshy open brain corals (trachyphyllia, lobophyllia, symphyllia, etc.). Closed brains (favites, favia, platygyra, etc.) don't really have a fleshy part, just feeding tentacles on the insides of the polyps. That's not to say that it can't be damaged from being abraised by other pieces of rock, but I don't think placement is too big of an issues with closed brains. All the pictures I've seen of them have them growing on the rocks as well.

Regardless, newfound, I'd not hesitate to frag that damaged section off asap if you see it spreading. Tissue necrosis can happen fast in flat stony corals like that. As for the color, like I said earlier, I wouldn't really worry about it too much just yet.

Anyways, water test results might help, but the damage might have also happened way before you got the coral and you are just now having to deal with it.

Best of luck!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the links Mike. Only reason I asked was because, well... I obviously have mine touching the rock and was thinking that while it seems to be doing just fine now, maybe that won't be the case down the road.

I'll dig around for some more info on platygyra placement, but my line of thinking has been along the lines of Devilishturtles... the substrate rule applies to the fleshy corals that really expand, and the constant expansion/contraction will irritate the flesh when it rubs on the rock. Whereas on sand, it just kind of glides along. Like fungias... those things get huge and leave a visible "dent" in the sand when it closes up after a big expansion. But the platygyras only really "expand" from the centers of the valleys, from what I've seen. But hey... I'm just trying to learn like everyone else, so that's why I raised the question to start with!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:56 AM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You might be right Lindsay. That was a quick look up and it was the fleshy ones. I`ll check out the others today. No problem with asking Kurt. Ill get back on this.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
brain coral, coral, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com