Brand New Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have an apple and no test kits you're looking at trouble. I think you should probably try and return it until you get the hang of keeping your tank stabilized. You probably want to start off with something that's a little more forgiving to mistakes.

Jim

yaksplat said:
If you have an apple and no test kits you're looking at trouble. I think you should probably try and return it until you get the hang of keeping your tank stabilized. You probably want to start off with something that's a little more forgiving to mistakes.

Jim

Let me ask you, How often do you test the water in your tank?

I try to, at the very least, every other night. When I started the tank, I was checking it every day. This way I know exactly what is going on in the tank. If the pH starts falling, I can catch it, find the problem and fix it before all of my inverts die. In your case, if the apple dies, so will everything else in your tank.

Jim

I try to, at the very least, every other night. When I started the tank, I was checking it every day. This way I know exactly what is going on in the tank. If the pH starts falling, I can catch it

As Jim has started backing off on testing he will continue to do so until he tests once per week or biweekly or monthly as he gets to know his tank, but until you get to know your tank (and each and every tank is different) you should be testing often. Eventually the inhabitants will tell you when something is a little off even before a test kit would, but this takes lots of time spent with your tank and it's inhabitants. My recommendation would be to remove the sea apple and go cuss out the LFS jerk that allowed you to buy it. Sea Apples are filter feeding sea cukes and not only can they nuke your tank, they have very demanding feeding habits. They are not for new tanks or new hobbyests, there is just to much danger in keeping one of these critters if you don't know alot about them.

reefrunner69 said:
I try to, at the very least, every other night. When I started the tank, I was checking it every day. This way I know exactly what is going on in the tank. If the pH starts falling, I can catch it

As Jim has started backing off on testing he will continue to do so until he tests once per week or biweekly or monthly as he gets to know his tank, but until you get to know your tank (and each and every tank is different) you should be testing often. Eventually the inhabitants will tell you when something is a little off even before a test kit would, but this takes lots of time spent with your tank and it's inhabitants. My recommendation would be to remove the sea apple and go cuss out the LFS jerk that allowed you to buy it. Sea Apples are filter feeding sea cukes and not only can they nuke your tank, they have very demanding feeding habits. They are not for new tanks or new hobbyests, there is just to much danger in keeping one of these critters if you don't know alot about them.

They wont let me return it - so Im stuck with it. I'll buy a kit and keep and eye on it. My tank is going on 8 weeks (not sure if yall consider that "brand new"). In any case - the Apple "seems" to be ok. Any hints on what a sick or dying Apple is supposed to look like?
Here are some photos of it.......
http://groups.msn.com/JohnniesWebSite/shoebox.msnw

Now that I look at it again - It looks like its getting bigger and bigger and bigger - like a pregnant lady ready to burst - Have no idea is this is normal.

OK - Now it looks like its happy!
Totally opened up - looks so gorgeous.
Will test water tomorror and keep yall informed with the Stats......

reefrunner69 said:

OK - Check this out! It looks like some one threw up all inside my tank. The entire tank is covered with this Pink/Purple Dust - its stuck to all the glass, every rock and is even inside my live sand!! WTF is it? Does the Sea Apple Shoot out stuff at night?
By the way - nothing is dead - and the Water was tested perfect.
What happened to my tank? Any ideas?
Thanks
John

reefrunner69 said:
Can we get a pic? Could be coraline algae or some sort of spawning, or...

The Sea Apple had Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!

and yall had me all scared! Damn my tank looks Bad Azz!!!

Back
Top Bottom