brooklynella Hostilis question, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishing

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which is more effective against Brooklynella Hostilis parasites, Quick Cure or Clout? Both of these products are produced by Aquarium Products. I heard that this parasite is not curable by copper or hyposalinity.

Just one more question

Thanks Kurt, I'll give the formalin dips a try. How long would you have to treat brooklynella with formalin in a QT setting and how much formalin do you add? Thanks again

I would have to look at the bottle. I kept a clean qt and just did the SW formalin baths in a ph and temp adjusted bucket every other day and just returned him to the qt tank.
While he was in the bath, I did a large water change in the qt tank, siphoning the bottom. I believe I gave him 4 baths total and I just watched him for 3 weeks before putting him in the main. Fortunately I discovered this shortly after I purchased him, he was in qt anyway.
If you can't find the formalin, I can send you some. :wink:
Let me know.

Formalin is just a 37% formaldehyde solution so the quick cure could be an option as a SW dip if regular formalin is unavailable. Most LFS should have formalin and I would look for that first. Just be sure you use just shy of ½ the recommended dose if using the quick cure and be wary of the water temp when using formalin treatments. Not really sure about how the malachite green in the quick cure will be on the whole though. It's quite low so it shouldn't be a concern. Just be sure you do not use full strength and please take proper precautions for yourself. Wear gloves, protective glasses and make sure the room is well ventilated.

Cheers
Steve

I went shopping in my LFS today and I bought some formalin 37% medication. The instructions say to add two drops per gallon every other day until results are achieved and then do a 25% waterchange and repeat the treatment in 10 days followed by another 25% waterchange as a preventitive. Should I go by the instructions? It seems pretty reliable in treating brooklynella. A week ago, I bought a small sailfin tang and he came down with brooklynella a few days ago. I could tell by the slimy, whitish film on his body along with him breathing hard. Right now I have him in my 10 gallon QT tank. I added 20 drops of formalin today after I bought it. My two false percs are doing fine in my 40 gallon display tank. My second question is which anemonie do false percs prefer? I asked that before, but I never got a response. By the way, I just read the responses to this concern today and thanks for offering to send me some formalin, Kurt (Quarryshark).

Two drops per gallon would be a fine in a QT and should work well. Be sure you watch for signs of secondary infection and be sure the tank has excellent aeration.

Cheers
Steve

The dip dosage would be 20 drops per gallon treated every other day for a total of three dips. Each dip should last for 45 min time. Although very effective, please be very careful when using the formalin as a dip. Temperature and aeration are critical in the process.

Here is a good article on the process... Formaldehyde: Friend or Foe? by Terry D. Bartelme

Cheers
Steve

Only reason I asked. When I treated for the disease, the baths worked very well and were easy to manage. The problem with treating the qt tank was that there were no instructions for additional doses and no way to measure the level of formalin in the tank. I even called the company and talked to one of the chemists that developed the product. He did not have a concrete answer believe it or not.
I did use an airstone with close monitoring during the bath. Worked without a hitch. Was too concerned about poisoning my Heni in the qt to use it that way.

Back
Top Bottom