brooklynella problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishing

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. My parents don't have access to a computer. They have a 150 gallon FOWLR system. About two weeks ago, they got a 3" maroon clown. The fish is in a 10 gallon QT treated with cupramine and the salinity is 1.021 and the temp is 78 degrees. Anyway, they noticed that the fish is starting to look awful today. It was breathing relatively hard and it has some slime building up on its body and it was not eating very wel. I immediatly told them that it was brooklynella. I also told them that, according to an article, "Wiping Out Marine Parasites" from AFM magazine, copper wouldn't treat this disease, but rather dropping the salinity to 1.010 for a few weeks would. Before I give them the OK of dropping the salinity, should I first put carbon in the filter to remove some of the copper and process of lowering the salinity to remove the rest while leaving the carbon in the filter to make sure all the copper is removed by the time the salinity reaches 1.010?

I'm afraid that hypo is as ineffective as copper against brooklynella. I read that article from AFM, too. However, this is not true. Hypo is only effective at treating crytocaryon and flukes and not much else. Don't bother lowering the SG, as this will have no effect at all. Instead, use a medication containing a combination of malachite green and formalin and follow the directions on the bottle and it should work. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom