Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

brooklynella problem

Hello all. My parents don't have access to a computer. They have a 150 gallon FOWLR system. About two weeks ago, they got a 3" maroon clown. The fish is in a 10 gallon QT treated with cupramine and the salinity is 1.021 and the temp is 78 degrees. Anyway, they noticed that the fish is starting to look awful today. It was breathing relatively hard and it has some slime building up on its body and it was not eating very wel. I immediatly told them that it was brooklynella. I also told them that, according to an article, "Wiping Out Marine Parasites" from AFM magazine, copper wouldn't treat this disease, but rather dropping the salinity to 1.010 for a few weeks would. Before I give them the OK of dropping the salinity, should I first put carbon in the filter to remove some of the copper and process of lowering the salinity to remove the rest while leaving the carbon in the filter to make sure all the copper is removed by the time the salinity reaches 1.010?

Old 08-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any thoughts??

Old 08-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to I'MAFishLUVR Send a message via MSN to I'MAFishLUVR Send a message via Yahoo to I'MAFishLUVR
I'm afraid that hypo is as ineffective as copper against brooklynella. I read that article from AFM, too. However, this is not true. Hypo is only effective at treating crytocaryon and flukes and not much else. Don't bother lowering the SG, as this will have no effect at all. Instead, use a medication containing a combination of malachite green and formalin and follow the directions on the bottle and it should work. Best of luck!
Fishkeeping is a great hobby and very rewarding to say the least, both fresh and saltwater equally. A few good tips for success: ALWAYS quarentine new arrivals for AT LEAST a month before adding them to your main, always maintain your pets accordingly, feed varied diets for top notch health in your animals and enjoy them. I wish you all the best of luck!
I'MAFishLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Hpyo will not work as well as copper. I have treated for this disease and the only effective treatment is formalin.
Here is an excellent article. Please hurry, the stage that your explained means bad new.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...oklynella.html
A series of SW formalin baths will do the trick.
Let me know if you can't find formalin, I have plenty and can ship

Tags
brooklynella

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com