Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Brown on the edges of Echinophyllia

I just aquired a beautiful piece of Echinophyllia. I don't recall seeing brown on it at the store, but I definitely have some on it now. Is this simply it's way of acclimating? Or is there something I need to do to help it out before it dies on me? Nothing seems to be bothering it.

My water parameters are all golden. I have 4 VHO bulbs (1 actinic, 1 10k, 2 22K blues)

Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chalice.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	20935  

Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My guess is it's just reacclimating itself to it's new lighting, but that's just a guess. Seems like many corals shift colors from when you first get them... or at least that's been my experience.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Kurt,

that is what I'm hoping is the situation. I have no other place to put the coral and it is so perfect for the spot it's in.

Cheers
Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I replaced two of the bulbs to higher quality. Replaced the 10K and Actinic with a DUO 17K white and a Fiji Purple bulb. Hopefully that will do it!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I moved it down to the sand, but there is a small part of exposed skeleton in the upper middle edge and one on the back lower edge. I brought it back to the reef store. He cut the sections out and kept it there for a couple of days to observe and hopefully fix any problems.

He asked me if another coral was touching it, but there aren't any within a few inches and none that reach out at night.

Weird.

Tags
chi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com