Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brown Spots

My yellow tang has developed some very light brown spots on his body.

I have no clue as to what it may be. The Tang is eating well. I feed frozen brine in the morning, algae strips at 4pm, and a variety of foods at night. (brine live and frozen, flakes)

Any help would be appreciated. The tang doesnt act sick, and it the spots are very light, barely noticable. Should I worry?

Check out my signature, for tank specs.

Thanks All.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Nitrate is a little high, so I fed them a little bit tonight. Also I noticed her twirling her fin. (the Tang) Also, I seen her rub against a rock for the first time.

I'm real scared....help. My qt nitrite, and nitrate levels are off the chart.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please help. 8O
Old 05-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
steve-s

Re: Brown Spots

Could be a form of lympho, bacterial or possibley a fungus. In any event, the below is most likely the cause.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
I feed frozen brine in the morning, algae strips at 4pm, and a variety of foods at night. (brine live and frozen, flakes)
Although you may be feeding only enough they eat it all, what goes in must come out. The wastes a fish creates is as much a problem as foods that get uneaten. Instead of the 3 feedings per day, I would suggest only one and leave/replace the algae strips twice a day for the tang. The brine will not benefit any of the fish you have (none as far as SW really at all). I would instead suggest either mysis or your own blender mush.

Water quality in most cases will result in what you are describing. Do a few large water changes with well aged SW to help reduce any DOC's and make sure the foods fed for the time being are vitamin fortified. If it's mild it should clear up on it own if the environment improves.

On another note, a 75 gal really is not the best size to be housing two tangs. Even if small they will become cramped as they grow which will evolve into aggression issues and health problems. Don't mean to harp but you will also have the same problem with the two species of clown. As they age they will tollerate each other less and less, especially the tomato. I would strongly advise you choose which two of the four you like the best and trade for something more compatible for the tank and fish you have. Depending on the size of the clown you keep, it is more than possible to end up with a mated/breading pair.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-12-2004, 12:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
One other thing. Are these just at night? Or are you seeing them all day?
My Yellow turns a little brown with a white stripe, but it fades when the lights come on. My understanding is that its just a normal sleeping mark.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a possibility....Just noticed it this evening.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depending on the size of the brown spots, if it is sugar grain sized, then it could be Tubellarian worms. They are like ich but not as sever. I had to take my fish out and let tank fallow. I have also heard by lowering the salinity would help, but I can't confirm that.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I was having health problems due to high DOC. Three 30% water changes in a week and a half, reduced feedings, and an upgraded skimmer cleared everything right up.

Thanks again Steve!!!

Tags
brown spots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com