BTA "blown up" is it happy? PIC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has been in the main 6 hrs. That is why I was asking. The cinnamon clown has already claimed him for his new home.

Sounds like all is well in your tank. From what I understand, they will deflate their bubble tips and their arms will become stringy and reach out when looking for food. He looks content to me.

From what I've read, if you want to feed them, wait for the bubles to recede, and then offer it some food when it's sweepers are out.

The coral looks beautiful!

I believe it blew up in reaction to being placed in a new environment, not necessarily a negative or positive reaction. Bubble tips or no bubble tips is not an indication of hunger, no one really knows for sure (plenty of anecdotal opinions, including my own) why some exhibit the bubble behavior in some tanks and not in others. I only mention this not to stir the pot, but just to make sure you don't feed and feed and feed assuming that if it is "stringy" it requires food.

I agree with Hoops, my BTA never really had bubble tips for the first year, now all of a sudden it does and I have not changed anything. Actually the bulbs are getting old and are due to be changed. Very strange???

He was normal size for about 3 hrs, had small bubble tips then it "blew up" for about 15-20 min (pic) then shrunk up :?

He's just acclimating to your tank Brenden. I would give it a week or even two before offering food, rather it's bulbed up or not. Offering food when it's not necessary or wanted is more harmful than not feeding at all. Give him some time to settle in. It's hard to say how an anemone is gonna do in only a few hours. It sometimes takes days, even weeks for them to settle and be comfortable in it's happy spot. Also, when feeding, a happy healthy anemone will grab food at the slightest touch. It's not necessary to shove it toward the mouth or to try and coax it to eat. Good luck with it.

It shrinks up to expel waste. Maybe it blew up in advance of expelling to help the process. Where was he before the main? QT or bag? I have 3 GBTAs in my main. One is huge and gorgeous with some tips bubbled. The other 2 hide all the time and have small tentacles. I wish I understood the rhyme/reason behind it all!

It is doing better already. He moved last night and when I turned the lights on he started to move. I agree he will be ok in time. Thanks to all :)

It has been "blown up" like the picture all day. I guess it found a spot it likes. Oddly enough it went to a low light area. :?

just keep an eye on it and make sure it re opens within a day. what kind of BTA is that? It kind of looks like it has lost its color? It may just be the pic

525 gal WOW 8O

It was "fat and happy" all day yesterday. I walked by the tank 5am this morning and it was stuck to the intake. I turned the pump off and went back to bed. Woke up this morning and it was stuck there. I pulled it lose. Some tentacles were stuck in the screen. I put it in the refugium with low current to "rest" 2 hours later it had inflated its body so I put it back in the main. It inflated fully a short time later and moved up under a rock and has stayed there inflated ever since. I guess he is still looking for his "home"

I`ve had mine for a couple years and he`s still on the move. Had a busy week Brian, I`ll work on that this week about the stars.

Back
Top Bottom