Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Bubble Coral Acting Weird

I came in today to find my bubble coral about 85% retracted. All the other corals are fine.
So it was like that all day. bubbled out just a little bit.

First thing I did was check my params:

pH - 8.3
SG - 1.025
Temp - 79.9
NH3/NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 15ppm
PO3/4 - 0
Alk - 9dKH
Ca - 450ppm

So, my 10000K's went out at 6:00pm, leaving just the actinics. The bubble retracted all the way. Like it usually does when the lights go out.

The it seemed to start to come out again, then got REAL WEIRD.

It looked like it was going to split in two. It came out without puffing out (if that makes sense). Almost like it was melting. Stayed that way for about 5 minutes. I really thought the bottom half was just going to split away and fall off.

Then it pulled itself back in, and completely retracted again. (10 min)

Then it puffed out just a little bit. (10 min)

Now it completely retracted again.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Was this in the evening. Mine will retract about an hour before the lights go out like they sense nite is coming. You might want to take your water to the LFS to double check your parameters.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
It's still all retracted this morning. I saw a few sweeper tentacles swing out here and there.
The rest of the tanks is fine..all corals seem to look good (That is, they look like they usually do).

I'm going to just keep an eye on it.

What is the main sign that I need to remove it. I dont want it fowling the tank.

BTW..My firefish goby is missing...I have not seen him in two days, and he didnt appear during feeding today. I tested the ammonia again with a different test kit and it was 0 ppm. So the cleanup crew must have "Cleaned" him up.

Funny, Everytime I look at the crabs, shrimp and snails I picture little Harvey Keitel's roaming the tank...he was "the cleaner" in Point of No Return and Pulp Fiction....
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

When your bubble coral dies on you, you'll know it. Mine disintegrated within a day. Even then, it didn't really foul the tank - just made a mess.

Although I'm having trouble mentally picturing what you described, it might just be having a couple "off" days. Seems like LPS corals go through periods of not fully expanding, and it's totally normal. My trachyphyllia (open brain) just got done not expanding for several days. It's now out bigger and better than before. When I had the bubble (a crab or snail "bumped" into it and started it down the slow road to death) it occasionally did the same thing. It could be conserving energy while it digests a big meal, or some other thing no one fully understands.

I'd just keep an eye on it and I bet in a couple days it'll be happy again.

Also... don't forget that your water parameters ARE changing. I read in that other post that you're dosing iodine/iodide. While I'm still new to this, I'm still in the camp that says PWCs will resupply most, if not all, of your trace elements. I know you said your iodine was "low", but it seems like there's a lot of people out there that have great coral tanks that only dose for Ca and Alk, and nothing else. Just make sure that if you're going to add supplemental elements, do it slowly. Especially with iodine, as I believe overdosing can be a really bad thing.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I think I have a good idea what happened to my Bubble Coral AND my Open Brain.

The Bubble is not gone yet. It looks like it MIGHT recover. I still see it puffing out just a little bit, and it's been 5 days. I figure if it was gonna die, it would be gone by now.

My open brain looks gone. It still has color, but the mouth is opened wide and it hasnt expanded for 4 days now.

I think it was the iodine dosing. NEVER AGAIN!!! I will test, but no more dosing.

Could Iodine have killed my Firefish Goby? I have not seen him in 4-5 days either.

The trumpet coral may have been affected too. But, Everyone else looks OK. Shrooms, Polyps, Clove, Zoos, Green Star Polyps, Frogspawn, Porites, Moonstone...all look normal.

Inverts all look good. Clowns are well. Seem to be getting along better.

And, I think the anemone is a ROSE BTA. It looks like it's finally getting a pinkish hue to it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Overdosing iodine will do it. PWC`s will give you all you need aas far as iodine unless you have a heavy population of inverts. I dont dose iodine except with frequent PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Bubble has recovered!!! Thank Goodness!! This morning it was only about 10-15% retracted..I'm sure it will be out fully within a day or two.

Open Brain still looks pretty bad. Does it still retain it's color if it's dead?

The mouth is WIDE open...and of coarse it is completely deflated...but the skin seems to be intact. Is it possible it could survive?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I think it was the iodine dosing. NEVER AGAIN!!! I will test, but no more dosing.
I'd NEVER recommend iodine dosing. PWCs will give you all you need IMO.

Got anything to put in a eyedropper to feed the bubble? Once in a while, I'll squirt some oyster eggs or something into it. Loves it. Swells up, closes and looks great when it re-opens. Almost like I can hear it burp.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well..I just did another PWC (4th in 5 days). Lets all say a little prayer for the open brain.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got some pics....One is the Bubble fully recovered

Second is the Open Brain...Is this coral dead, or does it look like it has a chance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0254_147.jpg (107.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg pict0255_692.jpg (103.0 KB, 131 views)

Tags
bubble, bubble coral, coral, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com