Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bubble coral dying?

Hi everyone, so the last two years I have had this absolutely magnificent bubble coral. The last couple of weeks (5 or 6?) I first noticed the mouth of the coral very open to the point where I can see straight down inside the coral. I then noticed that the mouth seems to be open or stretched out most the time and half the coral looks good but the other half almost seems to be shrinking and tissue receding. The coral has never moved positions in the last two years so I doubt flow or lighting is an issue. Is this normal, something to worry about, or signs of illness or death? Also, my clown fish have been laying eggs if that effects water parameters in some strange way? Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4513.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	305693

Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Has there been any changes in the tank recently? I would be looking towards a flow change since only half of the coral isn't as inflated as normal. If the clowns are rubbing around in it that could also be the cause.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clowns haven't touched it and no flow change. I got really cheap last time I was at the LFS and bought a really cheap salt so I wonder if it's been from switching salts maybe?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Such a change wouldn't be only causing half of the coral to not inflate as much. Same with the parameters in the water column.
The mouth being wide is pointing that it is stressed. When was the last time the powerheads were cleaned? If they are clogging up to restrict flow or were just cleaned it could have changed the flow pattern and stressed it out.
Have you considered moving it to a different location?
Old 12-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is no direct flow caused by any powerhead, but I might try to move and see if the problem persists? I thought the same thing and figured that the entire coral would be closed if something was wrong due to water quality.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Thatís correct. Though I doubt itís dying off, something is stressing that area of it and moving it in the opposite direction might be of benefit.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Those corals are very susceptible to the brown Jelly disease. You might want to google that. It can be brought on by trauma to the polyps by massive flow problems or fish causing it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, bubble coral, coral, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com