Bubble Coral Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just a question about bubble corals. When the two I have were in the LFS tank their bubbles were expanded to the size of Large Grapes, the big blue ones.

In my tank they never seem to get bigger than large peas, or maybe a marble. One is about mid tank, the other a little higher.

Any clue as to why this could be?

SG 1.025
PH 8.3
Temp 79
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-15
Alk 9 dKH
Calcium 440
Phos 0
Cu 0
Iodine 0.05
Mag 1300 mg/L

Weekly 20% PWC's
ATO..keeping salinity in check
Heater/Chiller..keeping temp in check
Skimmer

150W - 14K HQI 9:30am - 5:30pm
72W - True Actinic 03 - 8:30 am - 6:30 pm
7 moonglow Blue LED's 24 hrs

It's not really about acclimation, but more about how much light they need. They expand as needed to balance their energy "input" by exposing more tissue to the light. If you have stronger lights, then they don't need to expand as much to get the same amount of energy.

It could also be a flow issue. Bubbles don't like much flow at all and will stay somewhat "tight" if they're not enjoying the flow path they're in.

Kurt beat me to it regarding the increase of photosynthetic light input from polyp expansion. Many do not realize these particular corals, most of the time, come from protected waters and situated vertically in the wild. Many do not tolerate direct light and appreciate a more subdued environment. They also do not photo-acclimate well, which could also be a factor in your case.

If you have stronger lights, then they don't need to expand as much to get the same amount of energy.
Many do not tolerate direct light and appreciate a more subdued environment.

OK guys, which is it? Do they want more light or less light?

Mine has grown to 3x since I almost it lost last year when I was out of country. Now it's huge, inflating like crazy during lights on and then deflating at lights off. It's near the bottom just to the side of direct MH (150w) lighting. I'm planning of fragging this into 3 pieces when I get the time.

I'm just going to leave them where they are...If I see no change in another 30 days, I'll try to find another spot for them.

cmor1701d said:
If you have stronger lights, then they don't need to expand as much to get the same amount of energy.
Many do not tolerate direct light and appreciate a more subdued environment.

OK guys, which is it? Do they want more light or less light?

I'm not really seeing anything contradictory about those two statements. "Stronger lights" is a subjective thing. If you put them under brighter lights than they were under before, they probably won't expand as much. Expansion requires energy, and if it can get the same energy intake from less expansion, that's what it'll do.

Anyway...

From what I've read, while bubbles do come from "shaded" areas where light is at a premium (hence their ability to really expand like the dickens), many can tolerate higher lighting regimes. Then again, many species won't tolerate higher lighting, as cmor mentioned.

Before a snail/crab bashing into it did my bubble in, it tolerated higher lighting just fine. Not metal halides mind you, but about 8" below 196W of CF lighting. It did turn from a white bubble to a more greenish bubble though.

usmcmarc... one thing I just noticed from your post. I just noticed that you were talking about TWO separate bubble corals. How far apart are they? They can put out some pretty good sweepers, and maybe they're having a little turf war?

I dont think thats it...I have watched them with the lights out for hours...the longest I have seen the sweepers reach is about 3 inches...they are 6 - 8 inches apart and facing in different directions.

What about Kurt's comment on flow? Are they in direct flow or getting too much flow?

Are you saying that now they look like mine did when I first got it, but at the lfs it looked like mine does today?

Attachments

• bubble-full_167.jpg
    bubble-full_167.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 22
  • bubble-new_105.jpg
    bubble-new_105.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 25
Yeah, Mine look more like the pic of when you first purchased it. But I have had one of them for at least 3 months. I'm just gonna leave em be. Do my feedings, PWC's, etc and let what be.

Sounds like a plan. Mine almost dies last year when I was out of the country and the tank temp got to 92 for a day. There were only a couple of bubbles that protruded from the skeleton when I got back, and I was debating on tossing it or keeping it. As you can see I decided to keep it and it came back and grew....

Back
Top Bottom