Bubble tip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethan7474

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30gal tank with 30+ live rock and 40lbs of live sand.. I got an anemone like a week ago and it looks bad. Is it dieing? Also how does one feed an anemone?.. I've had my tank running for a couple or months now.. My parameters are good ph-8.0-ammonia is 0- nitrites-0 and nitrates-between 0-3ppm. I also have some zoas and a torch , with one clown, flame angel, fire fish and chromis and fire shrimp .. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390065615.111908.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390065634.710523.jpg

I have a 30gal tank with 30+ live rock and 40lbs of live sand.. I got an anemone like a week ago and it looks bad. Is it dieing? Also how does one feed an anemone?.. I've had my tank running for a couple or months now.. My parameters are good ph-8.0-ammonia is 0- nitrites-0 and nitrates-between 0-3ppm. I also have some zoas and a torch , with one clown, flame angel, fire fish and chromis and fire shrimp .. View attachment 217304View attachment 217305

Yes, it definitely is. What kind if lighting do you have? Also anemones need stable tank parameters. It's recommended to have your tank running for at least 6 months.

Yes, it definitely is. What kind if lighting do you have? Also anemones need stable tank parameters. It's recommended to have your tank running for at least 6 months.

I have a t5 ho 96w light .. It has two actinic bulbs and two regular .. Should I remove the anemone from my tank?.. The anemone still moves around the tank.. My parameters are stable..

Last edited by a moderator:
How exactly do uyou feed an anemone?!?? Also what do you feed it??

You don't need to feed your type of anemone. Most anemone that we house are photosynthetic and get all the energy they need from your light source. You can feed them small pieces of food, like mysis shrimp, but it needs to be small. Too large of pieces can be stressful on the anemone. The same goes for feeding too often and if you decide to go that route, I wouldn't attempt to do it more than twice a week and no more than a piece of food.

Oh ok .. But how do you feed it directly?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390089907.340079.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390089919.604401.jpg

What is that white stuff on its tentacles???!? Anyone know???

Not sure about the white stuff but something is wrong. I would consider tank maturity or lighting. He isn't starving of food so I wouldn't worry bout that. Everything else seem ok?

It doesn't open much . And it looks dirty.. My tank is 2 months old or 3.. My parameters are good..

It doesn't open much . And it looks dirty.. My tank is 2 months old or 3.. My parameters are good..

What do you mean by "good"? Anemones are difficult creatures to care for. They require strong lighting and pristine water condition. By pristine I mean 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia.. Also, you tank seems to be too young for an anemone. When i first started saltwater I bought myself a Haitian anemone, my tank was about 5-6 months old and I had trouble keeping him.

I definitely agree with Massimo...you should do a LOT of research before adding any kind of marine life to a tank. I haven't even set up my tank yet but even i know that. You can't rush things...no matter what is advertised as "add fish now" or "no cycling time, just add fish" thats a bunch of "abalone". ;) i too would like a Bubble Tip eventually...but like people said, tank maturity is important. Also, never be negligent to an animals care level, especially when it's more for Experts or Moderate, and think you can handle it. Just sayin because most people learn all this the hard way. :( i know I have...

It's a matter if opinion.. I've seen successful new tanks with anemone that are doing great

I did plenty of research .. Checked all my parameters..

A reef system is not mature or stable at 2-3 months and as such is unsuitable to house anemones or other sensitive inverts. There is a reason why experienced hobbyists tell people to wait at least 6 months and preferably a year. Can it be done? Sure! Just about anything can in this hobby. It doesn't make it a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom