Bubble Tip Anemone HELP!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

April Cherie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a beginner reef tank owner. Two months ago I set up a 36 gallon bow front. I have 35 pounds of live rock, the tank has completed its diatom cycle, all measurable levels are where they should be. I have 2 clown fish, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 banded coral shrimp, 1 royal gramma, 1 small pulsing xenia, and 1 small kenya tree coral. Everything in the tank is thriving. My dilemma, 4 days ago I introduced a green bubble tip aninome to the tank. On day two it seemed to be turning inside out and had released from the rock it was attached to. I got it to reattach to the rock and it seemed to have recovered, although it never opened to its original size. On morning four (this morning) I awoke to find it shriveled with its mouth wide open emitting clear stringy substances. I've read enough threads that state it is eliminating (pooping). It has been doing this all day. Is this normal? How long does it normally take?

That doesn't sound like pooping to me. I have had a BTA for a year and have only seen it poop a few times, I don't believe it takes all day to do! How did you acclimate it? Did you try and feed it? It is very soon to introduce such a delicate creature into a new tank. They will not tolerate swings in parameters, particularly temp and salinity and of course high nitrates. Can you post a pic or 2?

Anemones should be put in a well established tank...2 mo. old is not well established. Tank should be up and running at least 8 mo to 1yr. for the tank to have all the nutrients and stuff that anemones need. Probably unstable water conditions that it can not tolerate. JMO. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom