Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bubble Tip Anemones dying or what?

Ok so we have two bubble tip anemones (pink) and we have had them for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday one of them started to look wilted and its mouth was open it stayed like this for a couple of hours then perked up and looked healthy again. This morning when I woke up he was back in the same wilted shape with open mouth. This lasted for a few hours and then he perked up. He looked great all afternoon and then all of a sudden he was back wilted? Any suggestions? The only time we change the light is at night we lower it to the blue lights and then have the regular light on it all day. My tank is an IQ5. Any suggestions? Is he dying or just excreting waste? The other one looks fine.

Would love any advice you have to offer!!! Thanks.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old is the tank? What are your parameters? What type of lighting?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

We have had the tank for about 1 1/2 months. It is a a 16 gallon tank, I believe it is a LED light (white light and blue lighting). We have a live rock, gobbi, 2 clown fish and two Royal Grumma's (I think, they are kind of psycho fish). an urchin and the two anemone's. The anemone's are on a rock. Does that answer your question? Salinity looks good and had the water tested last week and was a good balance. The anemone's were fed day before last.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

May not be enough light. They require a bunch. Also, if your nitrates are high, that'll effect them. Plus your tank is young. I would recommend atleast a 6 mo to 1 yr tank before getting a nem. If you take it out and it smells, it's dying and could nuke your whole tank. If it's still attached and "swelling", just let it be.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This morning he was looking very weak and then perked up and looked awesome plump and tentacle's flowing nicely and really a great color. Then he went back to limp. The water does not have an odor. Will he detach from the rock when he dies? Or do I wait for the smell? I don't want the whole tank to go??? I put the light directly on him. He is on the bottom of the tank on a rock but close to the shell flooring should he be at the top closer to the light?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would also question the lighting. Most "reef" ready led lighting isnt enough for nems. They require established tanks, with pristine water and super lighting.

I'd also wonder about your parameters, you have alot of fish in that tank. I wouldnt have gone with more than 3 myself. lol I would also suggest going out and getting your own API saltwater master kit, abotu $20 on amazon.com so you can know EXACTLY what your parameters are especially with such delicate livestock.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Also, do you have a picture? that can really really help
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it detaches or withers and no movement, REMOVE it immediately. Doesn't take much to poison such a small tank. +1 on getting your own test kit.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I will try and get a picture uploaded. I am guessing it is the lighting. I put the light directly pointed at it and it seems to be doing a little better. Also, do you know anything about the Royal Gamma fish? They are CRAZY they pester the nem. They must like getting stung. It just lays next to it all the time and the clown fish swim through it the Gamma lays next to it like it likes getting shock treatment?!!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My gramma stayed clear of my nem when I had it. As did everything else in the tank. lol Another reason I gave the nem away.

Tags
anemone, anemones, bubble, bubble tip, bubble tip anemone, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com