Bubble tip nem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracie6283

Aquarium Advice Freak
My thoughts on what's going on? He was full and bubbly til this mormon when the lights came on. Water is good. Under a 4 bulb t5, ate fine on Sunday. Then this:

Attachments

• image-3441953070.jpg
    image-3441953070.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 106
Choonchiesback said:
Might be getting ready to poop? Has it done this in this past?

Oh I don't know! I haven't experienced this yet. I'll keep an eye on him. What's the "process" like?

Mine does it every once in a while. Looks like its trying to turn itself inside out. Should only take a day or two. Last time mine did it was after I gave it a silver side. I'm no expert but I hope I'm right. The nem has awesome coloring.

And him a bit later than the first. It does look like there's some stuff coming out. Thank god.

Attachments

• image-1046746513.jpg
    image-1046746513.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 87
When you say your water is good what did you test for? They like water temperature 75 to 82, dKH 8-12 , ph 8.1 to 8.4, sg 1.023 to 1.025, calcium 350- to 450, magnesium 1200-1500. Feed it mashed silversides, mysis or mussel two to three times a week. Is yours a clone or wild caught? When you fed it last time how much did you feed it and what was it? Did you mash up the food? To me it looks like it is gaping not getting ready to poop.

joy13 said:
When you say your water is good what did you test for? They like water temperature 75 to 82, dKH 8-12 , ph 8.1 to 8.4, sg 1.023 to 1.025, calcium 350- to 450, magnesium 1200-1500. Feed it mashed silversides, mysis or mussel two to three times a week. Is yours a clone or wild caught? When you fed it last time how much did you feed it and what was it? Did you mash up the food? To me it looks like it is gaping not getting ready to poop.

Well it's a well established tank. Keep salinity at 1.025 temp at 78. Feed it half a silverside once a week. What is gaping?

Hmmmmm..... In another recent thread ccCapt and another knowledgeable user said almost the opposite. They said do not feed it more than once a week if at all. The thought were that in the wild any fish would be eaten long before it reached the nem and that they survive off of what small particulates are in the water.

Per my most trusted LFS she recommends a whole silverside whenever they will take it. If they let it go, they are not hungry. If they take it they are hungry. That is what I have been doing with my RBTA and my GBTA and they look great. I agree that the picture doesn't look like it is about to poop. Could it be that it is about to split?

Gaping is when the mouth is wide open. Do you think it was expelling waste or zooxanthella? Half a silverside is way to much, you have to remember in the wild they only catch bits and pieces or food the clown takes to them. They seldom get a big meal. I feed a pea size mashed a couple of times a week. Calcium and magnesium is very important to test for as well as dkH and ph. Wild caught anemones don't live very long in our home aquariums clones on the other hand do wonderfully well no matter it if it a slice and dice or a natural clone.

I only feed it half once a week. Is a split a good thing? And I'll just keep an eye out over the next couple days and see what happens

Usually they don't look that bad before they split.

It's turning itself inside out which is not a good sign. Do not feed it. They don't need it.

Anemones in Captive Systems by Bob Fenner
"Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone."

Back
Top Bottom